Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently noticed that Elkparts are selling 25mm front and rear antiroll bars, and Abbott have a clamp on rear upgrade.

Has anyone got any of these, or similar parts? What's the verdict?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've got the rear SAS bar from Elk - hefty piece of kit that comes with additional supporting plates for the ARB hangers.
There are lots of posts on this but fitting just the rear reduces understeer and give a little bit of oversteer - car is very flat in the corners.
The abbott one will do the same but to a lesser degree.
I reckon you'll be happy with either. - One other school of thought is that if you have standard suspension then the SAS bar may be a bit too extreme (i.e. relative to the existing springing).
I'm running Abbott springs and koni shocks and I love the way it turns in and doesnt roll (relative to what it used to do!)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've just ordered the front and rear kit that Elkparts are offering, but directly from SAS in the US (cheaper for me). I've debated this for quite a while as, reading through the posts here, installing them seems to be nothing for the faint-hearted. Quasimotor's has a good write-up about how it's done, but even so I have already made up my mind that I will get myself some qualified help.

The back-pack system that Abbott offers for the rear seems to be a breeze in comparison, but unfortunately there is no alternative for the front. In any case, I would make sure that the shocks and dampers you're using are already stiffer than normal, before going for upgraded roll bars. And have you considered the strut brace that Elkparts isn't offering anymore, but Abbott still is? That helped tightening up the front end quite a bit on my car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello Mark,

I've got an Abbott rear ARB fitted which Is pretty good, still rolls a bit to much for my liking though.

Last time I paid a visit to Two Stroke To Turbo's In Hatfield they said that they had developed a Rear ARB which they thought was an improvement on the Abbotts one.(well they would say that!)

Anyway It may be worth giving them a call.(01707256100)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh, forgot to say that the Abbott Strut brace & Engine & gearbox mounts are well worth getting as they made a huge imrovement to the handling & traction on my car.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the prompt replies. I have Abbott's suspenders and poly bits, and am thinking of a strut brace (front!),and happened to notice the ARB upgrades. I take it that the consensus is to fit a strut brace and rear ARB upgrade together to get a worthwhile improvement without getting too extreme.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am in the process of making my own style of rear anti roll bar kit similar to the abbott one. But I am going to use a 2nd hand standard rear roll bar as it follows the same profile as the other. But I think that it is thicker than the abbott one(18mm). I will keep you posted regards handling when finished.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Got my ARBs out of Custom's this week and had them installed by a local (Germany that is) independent workshop.

First impression: They work a treat, but take some getting used to. On the few rides I was able to take so far, the steering felt more precise, there was only minimal body roll, but also a lot less understeer. I haven't tried this out, but my suspicion is that if you push it harder, the car (96 Aero with Hirsch Trionic) will eventually understeer, but that it then will come on real suddenly. Quasimotor's even reckons the bigger ARBs could make the car oversteer, but I wouldn't think that is possible with a front-driven car.

Installation was a PITA, though. Honestly, I have the deepest respect (and sympathy) for people who have done this alone and in their driveways. On my car, we eventually had to remove the subframe to get the old front ARB out and the new one in. In the back, we needed to enlarge the two cavities where the bushing hangers attach to the car, in order to fit the supplied reinforcing plates in. And there were numerous other small issues which taken together considerably slowed down the whole process. Clearly, the original ARBs were never intended to be removed, and that's what made it so tricky.

All in all, I paid for 6 hours of labor, which amounted to EUR 150. Yes, for this job it is essential that you pick a cheap workshop, or someplace that is dumb enough to agree on a fixed price.

In sum, if you don't have a strut brace yet, I'd recommend you get that first. It's so easy to install, costs less (even from Abbott's) and improves handling considerably. Once you have that, and the bug then bites again, consider the SAS ARBs.

My only worry now is that the TUV might not like the bars as much as I do.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
fitting both a/r bars have been reported as lessening the understeer a bit but the major effect is to limit roll
However if you fit the rear a/r bar only, the understeer virtually disappears and yes it does oversteer so you have to watch it sometimes ...
the front end "bite " is so much better
My plan was to fit both in stages but after fitting just the rear bar there was no point ...

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by sling:
[qb] Quasimotor's even reckons the bigger ARBs could make the car oversteer, but I wouldn't think that is possible with a front-driven car.
[/qb][/b]
Oh yes it is! As anyone who had a Mark 1 Golf GTi will remember.

·
Registered
696 Posts
A 9k even in standard trim will oversteer. I've had the experience a few times and I believe Marky had a scary moment when taking the exit on a freeway.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I think most of the oversteer problems ith 9ks, like most fwd cars, are probably on lift off. I've never managed to get a stock one to oversteer in a corner under power.

However, with an LSD and rear ARB upgrade, I can get a very satisfactory amount of oversteer powering through corners

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not sure that cornering at 140 km/h is what I want to do with the car; I've grown too fond of it as well as of my life for that.

As for the oversteer, I will have to test the limits slowly simply because the car now feels so different around corners, and because I do suspect that if oversteer comes on it will be nothing like the progressively increasing understeer that I have been used to.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got 2stroke's uprated rear ARB (bolt-on jobby)fitted yesterday to my 9K Aero.
It's quite an improvement on the Abbott one that was fitted and a lot cheaper too at £35.
The car certinaly rolls less and feels much more composed than before, so don't waste your money on the Abbott one!.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by sling:
[qb]As for the oversteer, I will have to test the limits slowly simply because the car now feels so different around corners, and because I do suspect that if oversteer comes on it will be nothing like the progressively increasing understeer that I have been used to. [/qb][/b]
Correct...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Gary N:
[qb]It's quite an improvement on the Abbott one that was fitted and a lot cheaper too at £35.
[/qb][/b]
Gary, are you talking about the uprated ARB that Abbott sell for some models, or their piggy back ARB that can be fitted to all?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bubbles,

I'm talking about the piggy back one(bolts onto the existng ARB).
TwoStroke's just replaced the Abbott bolt on with a 900 (GM shape) one which Is quite a bit thicker(almost the same size as the 9k one).

I was'nt expecting much of a difference, but It's surpring how much better the car Is on the twisty's now!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts