Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one got a view on what I should ask for my 97P, 65,000 mile good condition silver aero. Shame to sell but teenage learner in family so have to get something smaller and insurable...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Don't sell it, you'll regret it...

Plus, you'll find it cheaper to buy said teenager a cheap runaround and insure that, than putting them on your insurance as a named driver.

If you do sell, 65K miles is relatively low so you could ask for £8K ish, maybe more, for a private sale but expect a lot less from a dealer.
Give Giles at Abbott Racing (tel: 01255 870636) a call, they are on the lookout for good low milage Aero's at the moment.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree with earopilot not the £6500 valuation. I haven't checked the book for about 6 weeks but retail would have been arround £8k. If it's good, I'd advertise this at £8,995 and accept £8250 minimum

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aeropilot - yes I will regret it and perhaps the idea of buying him a £500 Fiesta is the answer. It is frightening how fast these cars depreciate though, for what is a fine car £8k is nothing. To get anything like it but with half the mileage I would have to pay double.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Just check insurance on prospective replacements for the Aero BEFORE you try and insure your teenager.

I daresay even the smallest engined, low risk vehicles will attract ridiculous premiums.

I would say keep the Aero and let your kid wait until he is 25 and let him buy his own motor. That's what happened to me. I was then old enough to appreciate just how expensive motor insurance is.

NB: Motor insurance premiums have risen 25% in the last year on average and 24% the year before.

Keep the Aero, or I'll give you £6,500

/john

·
Registered
600 Posts
To get a quick idea of how much car insurance costs try www.elephant.co.uk. It is online takes 2-3 mins and will give you a ball park figure. I was playing with it and to insure my 18 year old baby sister if she owned my aero was £4700.

I think a dealer would ask £9000 to £10000 for your car, if you ask £6500 you could get hurt as people break your front door down to buy it.

If you buy a normal car you will regret it. I have a brand new Peugeot 306 HDi hire car that I have to use on business and it sucks deeply. What would you buy instead........

·
Registered
38 Posts
I seem to have stirred up a debate on the value of used Saabs! Let me clarify my valuation as a matter of interest.
1. The £6500 is from Glass's guide based on the details given, and is a trade price, ie what a trader would offer in cash.
2. It is unrealistic to expect above trade price for a private sale unless the car in question is unique or particularly desirable for some reason. ( I admit the 9000 AERO is extremely desirable )
3. Run of the mill Saabs at the moment are trading at £1000 to £1500 below book price, although desirable examples will do better.
4. Since the events in New York on 11 sept used car values have been in freefall.
I wish you good luck in selling your car, but personally I would keep it and enjoy it. Buy your son a £500 Fiesta and keep the AERO to yourself!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My daighter is coming iup to driving age so I have been checking out insurance costs on currently owned and replacement vehicles. I think you will find that anything remotely reasonable to insure will be such a drastic change from your Saab as to be unacceptable. In my position it was cheaper to buy a nice clean 93 Fiat Uno and keep my current car than to pay the increased premium for a learner driver ( 2 liter 16valve Cavalier)
The Uno is about the cheapest thing you will find to insure though I didnt check Fiestas. Its also a nice car to learn in , good visability, nice gearbox etc.
Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got a 97 Aero myself about 4 months ago. Faced with a similar problem - son 19 yrs old. Got him an 88 Renault 11 - £200. Insurance £950 TP only - ouch!!
Keep the Aero - St George Saab Bristol just sold one with 45K on the clock for £8450. Don't sell for less that £7500 if U have to.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Check how much it would be to put your learner onto the Aero before you say goodbye to it. To put my 24 yr old, 2 claims in the past 3 years, girlfriend on mine ('94 Aero) only added an extra 137 quid.
To insure herself on her '98 Peg 106 cost over 700 quid. Work that one out...
Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks all for your thoughts. seem to have struck a chord with some of you!

of course one reason for getting the lad to start driving is to avoid having to turn out to collect him from some remote place after midnight.. and to save getting up early at weekends to take him to school matches.

still the idea of the Fiesta is growing on me! maybe as owner with him as named driver.

and of course just now not a lot going on in any market so selling anything is not easy. hang maybe I can get that Fiesta for less as well!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.