Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, okay, I know I'm really a 9-3 interloper here, but I hope someone can help me out.

My father has a 96N 9000 Aero hatch which he loves. Unfortunately the backlighting on the two trip computer panels are only working intermittently. Both the clock/distance computer on the main dash, and the economy meter in the dial area still work, but are virtually unreadable, except on days when they decide to light up.

Our dealer has had a look at it, and suggested a repair/replacement strategy that will cost around £450 (includes replacement of at least one of the units).

Frankly I think that's extortionate for something that sound like being simply a loose connection somewhere. Especially as they know he's planning on getting a nearly new 9-5 Aero Estate at the same time as I get my new-shape 9-3. The rotten lot!

Does anyone have any ideas? Bear in mind please, that he hardly knows what a bulletin board is (hence my posting!) and I avoid screwdrivers at all costs..... but I'll try anything once!

Here's to hoping one of you clever chaps (or lasses) comes up with a solution...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Spooky or what..!!!

I've just logged on to put up a posting with exactly the same problem on my Aero which started occuring over the weekend. Sometimes it's OK, other times can hardly read displays.
Don't like the sound of the cost of fixing...!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thinking.... how to tell you both...
Let's say so - Such price you can get if you're asking a car repairer (what the SAAB garages usualy are) to fix the electronic device (and vice versa - electronician, to fix a car ). Both cases the result is not guarantied.
Therefore the only way to go is to give the right job to right people. Both of you must carefully think if you know someone 'born with soldering-iron in hand' and he will do the job for much the less.
Anyway - there are only 2 things that could cause this: Loose or corroded connection in some connector (read as 'bad earth' as well), and 'cold-soldering' or broken connector on PCB in device. But, in your case, as it affects more than one device the problem causing this is more likely the first one.
And well, you will need a little knowledge of how to dismount the dash too. Btw if you need wiring diagrams, I guess you can get them from 'Townsend Imports' (don't ask me the address, I don't remember, but if you'll ask someone here - they should say)

Good luck

Dzintars
9000CS23T

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<Bump bump bump>

Thanks for that Nufis, I see what you're getting at. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but the thought of stripping the dash to get at the innards is a little beyond me! And the less said about screwdrives and torx heads the better..... run away!

Any other thoughts anyone? My Father is doing my head in over this, and I need a solution double quick to get him off my back.....

(Silly me, shouldn't have said I'd handlie it!
)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Stripping out the dash is not that bad a job, a bit fiddly mind. I did this to replace the bulbs on mine when I first got it and it took me about 3 hours total.
If you want any tips give me a shout.

Ant

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Redleicester, did you get this fixed? I've just bought a '95 CSE and it has a similar problem. The EDU lights come on, but get dimmer (especially on the left) until it becomes quite hard to see.

While I'm in there, how many bulbs are there in the instrument panel, as I might as well do them all at the same time (I did my '87 2.0T years ago, but can't remember now how many bulbs I had to buy).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.