Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have been looking at getting a stage 1 for my aero in the near future, but while I was looking at buying some silicone vaccum hose, i saw the place sells Holley NOS kits, for $400 (MapTun stage 1 will cost $1380) and this is a wet shot system, for 2.3L turbo applications, and all i have to do is fit it. not that interested in it, but what do you think? worth it? ( the kit says 50-150hp gain depending on nozzles used)

·
Registered
494 Posts
and all i have to do is fit it. not that interested in it, but what do you think? worth it?[/b]
in my opinion, NOS is great for an incredible 4th gear burn out from 60mph...

one can only begin to guess at the stress this would be putting on your vehicle. everything from drivetrain to frame would be getting pushed to the limits... if not past.

building up a motor, transmission, drivetrain, to be able to withstand this sort of a power increase would involve thousands, in both hours and dollars spent. yes, this is a quick and easy way to get those same power gains, but how often are the high stress points of a vehicle reinforced in some way or another to keep up with this 'upgrade'?

the way i see NOS - a great, quick, fun way to watch your engine explode with pistons and rods coming through the top of the hood and through the block into the pavement. great fun, if you can afford to purchase another vehicle, after the first gets killed.

i believe the largest issue with the horsepower increases that are seen with the installation of NOS, is the suddenness at which that power is available. a motor built up to push another 50-150 horsepower will allow one to use the power with discretion.

NOS is ALL or nothing, at any engine rpm, in any gear, at any speed. which reminds me of this short video clip i saw. it took place at a track, i believe it was a 'Sport Compact' drag race of sorts. one motorist figured he could get off the line real quick by hitting the NOS to get him going from a dead stop.

the car moved... in a big way... but more of it went up or down than ever went forward at that start line... you can see the pushrods, or some other internal engine part come ripping straight up through the heads and the blocks. IIRC, i read that this guys pistons were buried something like 3-4 feet into the asphalt

·
Registered
494 Posts
oh, wait, duh... that car was a Honda
no wonder the engine turned itself inside out

i'd stay well away from NOS in any case though...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah.. that was my first thought... too much stress suddenly.. the guy trying to sell it to me has it on his Honda Civic, using a 50hp shot... i am surprised that it can take it
i would rather a Stage 1 for a few reasons... no extra piping in the engine bay, no switches to be installed, and perfectly legal to use on the roads. (NOS is legal to have installed in the car, but the bottle is not allowed to be hooked up), plus i bet insurance would rather i have a slightly tuned ECu compared to a NOS setup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts