Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996, 9000CSE 2.3 turbo. All is fine with the car except that there is an annoying light rattle/whirring sound coming from behind the cabin temperature sensor mounted on the dash board beneath the heated seat controls. Tapping the dash cures the noise for a short while, but, inevitably, it returns.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If so what was the cure?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The cabin temperature sensor has a tiny fan which draws air through it. A build up of muck or a dry bearing can cause it to make a noise. The intake is the small grille in the dummy button above the driver's heated seat switch. Taking the dash top of gives the best access to it but removing the radio and/or ACC unit might give you sufficient access to the fan.

Derek
p.s. Mine is a '96 2.3T as well

·
Registered
130 Posts
Alun,

Mine does the same, cleaned it out of all the dirt but it still does it.

Upon investination it is not the fan itself that is the problem it is the grill cover it sits in. when you clip it back in to the dash it is hard plastic on to hard plastic ans as the fan rotates in operation the vibrations cause the two plastics to rattle against each other.

I took the housing out cleaned the fan up once more but also added a thin piece of foam around the clips of the outer casing before pushing it back in to the dash. I do not have a noise problem anymore.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your information, I feel taking the dash top off is a little drastic, but if I cannot cure the problem by removing the intake cover from the front then, it may have to be. The trouble is, the car is so quiet that a slight noise like this seems amplified!!!!!
I will try the removal of the button shaped cover and investigate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On a related theme, one of the rear door fans in my 1993 9000 has started to make an irritating throbbing noise. I've taken it all apart, cleaned it, and balanced up the fan, but it is still very noisy - again, I think it's the proximity of the rotating fan to the plastic cover, as it seems quiet enough on the bench ...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Alun,

Just for information I got to my temp fan by having to remove the blank next to it and only the ACC module.

Thinking of which my 94 CSE have the temp fan under the heated seat switches, something daft like putting it in a different hole and moving the cluster of 4 around a bit. You never know the simplest palns are usually the ones that work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
many thabks, i am goint to try to stop the noise tomorrow. The difficulty is I have the two seat heater switches at the top of the bank of four, the temp sensor bottom right and the flashing alarm warning light bottom left. Oh well, we shall see......

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a Post Script. i removed the temp sensor cover and cleaned the small temperature sensing element. behind it lies the offending fan. Liberal squirt of WD40 and....hey presto....no noise at all. Cured!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.