Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

About 2 years ago I had the standard ECU remap by Abbotts, the alleged +40 BHP Jobbie.

Since then I have had new clutch, new head, stripped and rebuilt manual gearbox, services etc etc...

You get the picture, lots of plugging and unplugging, and lot of miles.

Do I need a "top up" so to speak on the remapping (or whatever) to ensure optimum performance.

Abbotts said they would check anything out and adjust for Free but it is a lot of petrol and mileage just for that (round triop from Dover).

In fact, does anything need doing? can I do anything? ( complete novice, just about change a wheel !!!)

Advice pleeeeease !!!

9000 CSE 2.3T. FPT. 1994
Lowered and Polybushed, abbott dump valve, bleed valve, bigger back box, de-catted. Abbott ECU remapped blah blah...
(only mentioning all this in case it matters as to what - if anything - needs to be done).

Thankyou,
Andy.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Once the ECU is mapped, it's there for good unless it dies!
What you can do is reset it so that it unlearns any bad traits (such as limiting boost due to poor fuel etc).
Do a search on Adaptation run and you'll get the picture - pretty much, unplug battery for 20mins, then floor it from about 2500 to 4500rpm in 4th.
That's the only thing I can think of...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
As long as you haven't made major modifications (is the head still standard, for example?) then it should be fine. Some tuners, like Maptun, offer remapping for a nominal fee if you've changed the hardware. For example, I'm intending to fit bigger injectors to my Aero and will be asking them to remap my ECU to suit.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
originally posted by BillJ:
 For example, I'm intending to fit bigger injectors to my Aero and will be asking them to remap my ECU to suit.  [/b]
Care to expand on that ? injector numbers etc?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just be prepared for the extra fuel bill . I have seen 17MPG
on accassions with my setup. But as you know from a personal quick blast in my chariot, it is worth it at times

·
Registered
778 Posts
Bill, I was told that those injectors are now offered at a more reasonable price. They certainly made a huge difference, performancewise, but they also lowered consumption a few mpg's - I'm not sure if it was because of my inability to keep my foot off the 'loud pedal' or that they inherently use more gas under any condition (be forewarned that your instantaneous gas mileage indicator will overstate mpg's and only Dr. Boost seems to know how to 'fix' this, but wont give any hints). I've driven a lot of different v8's (mustangs, corvettes, etc.) but none of them gave the
that those injectors and Fredrik's software gave to my Aero. And with the big intercooler, it would maintain healthy boost (1.2 bar) right to the red line in 5th gear

·
Registered
778 Posts
Stanley, if Bill is using the 'green giants', then the Bosch part no. is 0 280 155 968, Volvo p/n: 9202100. They flow 348 g C7H16/minute @ 3.8 bar. Some also use the black injectors w/the blue stripe that were used on the '93 Aeros - those were the biggest ones that Saab used. I think the part no. for those were 91 36 300, but Leon might know for sure. It goes without saying that they would require reprogramming, if they were used.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
My 93 2.3FPT came with the blue stripe injectors... and now has the green giants. I will check the part # of the blue stripes tonight...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sorry guys: I should have said the green giants flow flow 444 ccm @ 3 bar or 465.2 ccm @ 3.8 bar. The Aero injectors flow 346 ccm @ 3 bar

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I suppose that we are talking about these ones then :

But to run those monsters the fuel rail would probably also need to be uprated in order to get the best out of them. I met someone recently who had these injectors fitted. I think that the work was carried out by Neo Brothers. Acceleration was amazing, but I was a bit surprised at the exhaust flame throwing capabilities

Amazingly, those 9-5 AERO and Viggen injectors aren't at all bad either. I know of a company not far from me that have them on their upgrade parts list when they have an ECU re-mapped by Abbott.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yes Stanley, those are the one! Rumor has it that they're very cheap in Sweden, these days - ~£80 for a set of four
Needless to say, I'll probably visit the land of trolls and do some 1st hand research on those and the new IC that Fredrik developed!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Just be prepared for the extra fuel bill  . I have seen 17MPG  on accassions with my setup[/b]
Interesting
I am running 630 cc injectors (yes really !) and I have yet to see it dipping below 24 mpg
(except on the trackday where I was down to 8!)

But to run those monsters the fuel rail would probably also need to be uprated in order to get the best out of them.[/b]
the fuel rail is ok as the pressure it runs at is not a limiting factor.. it is the fuel pump which needs to be larger in terms of max flow... mine is about 3x standard I believe...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:

I am running 630 cc injectors (yes really !) and I have yet to see it dipping below 24 mpg
(except on the trackday where I was down to 8!)[/b]
I was under the impression that the fuel calculation is way off when bigger injectors are used. How would the little computer know that bigger injectors (and thus more fuel is going into the engine)are used?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
You are absolutely correct about the fuel rail on the turbo version of the 9000 Ylee . I have a 9-3, where the fuel rail is less substancial in my opinion. Strangely enough I did not need a bigger fuel pump. I am however shocked you get such good fuel consumption figures .

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
yup
On brim to brim measurement (the computor is useless ..its saying I am doing 58 mpg !!)
I am averaging about 30 mpg
I get to 400 miles on a tank full ....

I was under the impression that the fuel calculation is way off when bigger injectors are used.  How would the little computer know that bigger injectors (and thus more fuel is going into the engine)are used?  [/b]
You are dead right ...and unfortunately there is no way to re-calibrate it ...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Sorry guys, I can't find the blue stripes at the mo...

And I reckon the current weak link in my setup is probably the fuel pump... I'm going to get a dyno run done at some point with a fuel pressure gauge rigged up so I can check it is still delivering at the higher revs...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Originally posted by robert lavergne:
[qb]  Rumor has it that they're very cheap in Sweden, these days - ~£80 for a set of four    :eek:  [/qb][/b]
A blast from the past!
The above quote is regarding green giant injectors, anyone know if this rumour has foundation? Where from, seems too good to be true, as they're £400 a set over here!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, it's not a rumor - like BillJ noted, they can be secured thru MapTun. IIRC, Fredrik said they were about 1500 sek - which a few years ago was only $150, but because of a weak dollar, relative to both the £ and the kroner, is now over $200. Still, not a bad price.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts