Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya guys, I'm trying to get hold of a Saab 9000 2.3T intercooler, pref. secondhand in good nick, as cheap as possible!

Anyone got one of these they wanna sell me or know where I can get one cheap?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, Pete200SX.

The words "Saab" "intercooler" "secondhand" "in good nick" and "cheap as possible" are rarely ever seen in the same sentence.

In fact, so the possibility is so rare that it is normally only someone who wants one that will string them together. Certainly no one selling will manange that combination of words.

Your best bet will be a scrapyard provided there is the appropriate car and little/no front end damage. Be lucky!

Alternatively, try DCA in Reading, Two Stroke to Turbo and some people recommend some outfit called Neobrothers.

I do not have contact details, but you probably have access to the internet and yellow pages - a short search will throw them up.

What's a 200SX, and 9000 intercoolers fit, do they?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 200SX is a Nissan coupe with a 1.8 DOHC 16v Turbo engine, and a 9000 intercooler fits very nicely in front of the radiator, replacing the silly little thing Mr. Nissan thought it'd be clever to put in the wing.

It's a very common modification on my model, I know loads of people who've got one, and they must have got them from somewhere

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Some web addresses are:

Neo Brothers Nice-looking website, but useless these days. Used to look cr4p, but listed useful stuff. At least it has their contact details, though.

Two-Stroke To Turbo Somewhere on that site is their phone number. Keep looking...

Despite the poor quality of both websites, both companies dismantle lots of Saabs and should be able to offer you an intercooler for a consideration. Two-Stroke almost invariably quote more than Neo Bros. (and most others too), but many people (myself included) have found that if you turn up at their door with pound notes (Ok, fivers these days) in your hand they may be willing to make a deal.

It may be worth checking, but I was under the impression that all 9000s had the same intercooler, whether they be 2.0T or 2.3T. If this is the case, it might give you a wider choice of options.

Can anyone with a parts catalogue confirm or deny this?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (currently without 9000CD):
[qb]When your little Nissans die make sure we can have the intercoolers back for our 400 000 miler 9000's.[/qb][/b]
But only if we don't write them off on the track first. Eh, Jason?

Which reminds me: it was a 200SX that performed some interesting ballet in front of me at Goodwood the other day. He seemed determined that I wouldn't know which way he was going to spin until I hit him. Luckily, I outfoxed him until he was committed and I knew which way to swerve...

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
It may be worth checking, but I was under the impression that all 9000s had the same intercooler, whether they be 2.0T or 2.3T. If this is the case, it might give you a wider choice of options.[/b]
There are 2 types IIRC..
One type the pipes point backwards towards engine, (early) and the later ones the pipes point down...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Now that I think of it, Leon, you may very well be right. I suppose either way may suit Pete's purpose and if not, he needs to have a look to see which one other people are fitting to 200SXs. The later one, I expect, if he was specifying a 2.3T intercooler.

Pete, the 2.3T was introduced in 1990 for the '91 model. Perhaps the 2.0T intercooler was changed then too?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Indeed, don't dis the Niss. My bro had one of these 1.8 litre C13s and it was a gem to drive. Of course, as the amount Nissan shifted of them in the Netherlands was barely into the two figures (they were kinda expensive, and Nissan dealers are better in luring unsupsecting pensioners into their Micras and Almeras than selling serious sports coupé's) it had to be a German import, sourced through a shady kinda secondhand GTi/GSi outfit. And of course it turned out to be pranged, after this pristine-looking thing (bro is VERY serious about his waxing and detailing, had the front valance resprayed twice or so) failed its MOT because of a rust perforated chassis member after 3-4 years of ownership. It was kind of skittish in the wet indeed, or so my brother reported. But what a hoot to drive, sitting low next to this big center tunnel with a short stubby lever on top that allowed super slick shifts, being pulled by an elastic band courtesy of an exceedingly smooth and eager 16 valve turbo engine. And handle did it too...

Bro traded it for a 1.6 Megane convertibe - oh well...

There's a ca. '90 example with a bent front fender and front valance on my Saab shop's lot, in the same metallic red as my brother's car - if it wasn't for Saabine already maxing out my credit card I'd be sorely tempted to get it for cheap RWD thrills...

Oh, and aftermarket support for the thing should be huge given that M*x P*wer featured a C13 some two years ago that still had 1.8 litres displacement, but was dynoed at SIX HUNDRED AND NINE BHP! And it still looked relatively modest.

A word of warning about 9000 IC's though - they are quite efficient for charge air cooling but airflow characteristics are dismal - Abbott say they measured a very modest 81 cfm flow - under the same circumstances that timy c900 IC with its down-and-up flow path still managed 105 cfm.

If you want something that cools and flows efficiently you'd have to shell out for a HKS, Forge (don't know whether they list the C13 though) or custom IC). Otherwise, I'd suggest leaving the original IC in place, perhaps with a fan strapped to it, and save your pennies for a proper water ijection system, which not only cools the charge air very efficiently, but also effectively controls combustion temps and thus detonation, something cooling the intake charge alone cannot achieve.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Jason, any news on the repairs?[/b]
I rang them on Friday and the guy said that the car was ready for topcoating but they had a large backlog of work. Translated I think that means; "The insurance company buyers are giving me some grief and they have more buying power than you do".

So I'm still waiting.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Just spotted Abbott have put standard intercoolers on their site under clearance at £70ea. Looks like second hand to me but I guess a good buy if you want to mod your early 2.0 LPT (doesn't say if they come with hose).

Or your Nissan thingumy

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
They were £50 yesterday, wren't [ sic    ] they?        [/b]
Those were (& still are) intercoolers for T8 900s (well they're T16 intercoolers they are suggesting you put in your T8 coz if you have a T16 you've got one... ). These are 9000 intercoolers.

Confused? You wil be after this episode of...

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
on the Abbott Racing website, it says:

SAAB 9000 Intercooler. Ideal first-step upgrade for early 9000 Ecopower models.

(Reputedly this intercooler is an easy fit into the Nissan Silvia/200SX)

Quantity in Stock: 10 Units

Price: £70/each[/b]
I wonder where they got the reputed info from?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts