Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I fitted a Maptun Stage Aero ECU (I guess it is somewhat equivalent to Stg4 program) upgrade on my 97' 9000CSE 2.3 AUTO-TRANS.

Yet, I have not done a noteworthy hardware modification. The stock turbo charger is a T25. Factory down/back pipe still there & only the cat. bypassed. Replaced the air filter with a JR free flow filter.

Due to low budget, I couldn't order a Turbo Charger upgade (Maptun advise a TB25/28) & 3" complete exhaust.

To fit the bill I'd go for a unit from dismantlers but they have no idea of turbo compressor part numbers (just now I live in Turkey). From which make/model I can find a TB25/28?

Another suggestion is a MHI TD04HL-15-5 or TD04HL-15-6. As far as I know this unit is capable upto 300hp. Other than Saab which make/model have this turbo?

Comparing TB25/28 & TD04HL-15-5 or -6, which one will be more responsive at lower revs & with a more acceptable lag?

While upgrading the turbo unit, If I do not fit a 3" complete exhaust, what loss/gain I should expect?

I have a set of Bosch green 465cc injectors ready to fit. Is it advisable for such a compilation?

Thanks for all suggestions.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by SaabAnkara:
[qb]Last year I fitted a Maptun Stage Aero ECU  upgrade on my 97' 9000CSE 2.3 AUTO-TRANS.
[/qb][/b]
Not sure what you mean exactly by this.??????

Your car is not an Aero.....

And you have an automatic, so Maptun should have torque limited the new software anyway, as the ZF autobox is only rated to 300Nm....

For this reason any further mods (such as turbo, injectors etc) become a bit pointless........

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
TBH I would also change to a manual transmission 9000 if you want to go over 250bhp/300Nm. But if you are adamant about upgrading the turbo, I'd go for a normal (spindle?) bearing turbo rather than a BB turbo as the fast spool up on a BB turbo will cause torque spikes which will lunch your autobox within weeks of fitting!

I'd go for either a Garrett T28 if you can find one, I "believe" these should be a plug'n'play replacement for the T25 assuming you find one with the right trim. Otherwise you can get a TD04 and all necessary pipework from a 9000 Aero and have that fitted. But as Aeropilot said, you shouldn't use Aero software as that will expect you to be using a manual box. It probably won't even work, but I'm just guessing now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts