1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9000 2,3 92´ or 9000 Aero 95`?

Hi there,

I need a piece of advice.

I am looking into swopping my 9-3 T for a 9000 and have the option between a 2,3 T 92´(200 HP)or a 9000 Aero 95´. Price difference and insurance is +30% for the Aero, milage is the same but the aero have a few more extras and its also a few years younger.

My reacearch shows that these particular modelyears are both good. So is it worth it paying the extra 30% for the Aero????

My main concern on the 2,3 T is that its the first modelyear with the new CSE chassi so the build quality could be tatty. I have also head some nasty storys about the manual transmission.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Re: 9000 2,3 92´ or 9000 Aero 95`?

Soren,

The Aero is the more accompished car... and to many of us modifiers of cars, is worth the extra.

Has several intrinsic benefits over the 200hp 2.3T. Has the higher-output TD-04 Mitsibushi turbo, has the lovely aero seats, more sports focused suspension, arguably better looks with the subtile bodykit and wheels and more sought after than generic 2.3Ts (good for resale).. also a fantastic tuning platform

Also in your case - the aero is a newer car with many of the design faults dialed out and with switchable or indeed, not fitted with TCS.

The 1992 usually has TCS fitted.. and this is a very bad thing - failure prone, expensive to fix, and robs you off driving pleasure.

Torque is indeed a killer of gearboxes be they manual or automatic, but gearbox overhauls on the manual keep things running fine if your gearbox does need work.. and is a good time to fit a Limited Slip Differental.

Go for the Aero.. it's worth it.

(spoken as a very happy owner of a 1992 9000 CD Griffin)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thxs for the swift reply.

I forgot to mention that both cars have done around 260.000 Km = 165.000 Miles. From what I can see it shouldnt be a problem, but is there any thing in specifick I should be aware of with that kind of milage??

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

at that kind of mileage there are a few things you have to really check for...(p.s. I'm not a mechanic.. just going from experience from my classic 900 and current 9000)

1) Engine/Turbo

Does the engine rattle badly at idle ? Then the cam chains/pullys/balancershft assembly may need replaced - Can be expensive.

Is there alot white smoke at idle/oil funny smell from the expansion tank? - Then the cylinder head gasket may need replaced.

Is there blue smoke on idle or on trailing throttle under load or when booted. - Then either the turbo's seals have failed or valve problems.

Is there black smoke on idle ? The car is running too rich, perhaps perished vacuum lines/PCV/Lambda sensor failure.

Excessively oilly engine bay ? Can just be leaking from the cam cover and blanking plate that blocks off where the distributer used to be. Simply changing O rings and the cam cover gasket will cure that.. however another common oil leak is at the oil pump, which can necessitate replacing the oil pump and the gasket. A cracked cylinder head can also cause copious amounts of oil to drip out.. and this is common when people don't torque the bolts correctly.

The 2.3T engine is a great engine and very up to high mileages.. what I've described I reckon are the common failures (although valve seal failures are pretty uncommon I'm told)

Engine mounts do perish and need replacement by about this time.. so it's worth checking those. two on the torque arm at the top of the engine.. and one down at the gearbox.

Check the service history to see if the throttle body has been replaced... the car has an electronic fly-by-wire type throttle, and it's a known failure point.. and very expensive to replace. (Sometimes linked with the dreaded TCS failures on the 1992 cars... usually on later cars responsible for prematurely going into limp home mode and causing stalling.)

2) Exhaust.

Over time the downpipe can fracture (not surprising given the constant expansion/contraction it must get from the exhaust heat) - you'll know by the higher pitched turbo whistle you'll get.. and if it's almost sheered, you can move it by hand at idle and hear the noise change. Replacement is pretty straight forward.. and good replacement aftermarket alternatives exist from Sweden etc..

3) Suspension/Tyres

By this mileage, suspension parts are very well worn. It's amazing what the changes of bushings can make to the sharpness and cornering agility of a 9000. Tired bushings make the car wallow and wander at speed. The steering will feel imprecise.

Bushings to check/replace - wishbone bushings, anti-roll bar bushings, (Bill Jones can give more detail on this... I just had everything changed on mine )

Weaping dampers are a sign of imminent damper replacement.. good thing to check on a heavy car.

Check tyre wear - uneven wear will indicate if the suspension is out of alignment. or worse damaged.. as will knocking noises and loud groans.

Brakes.. I good idea to check the condition of the disks if possible.. cracked or badly corroded disks can point to an owner not particularly concerned with keeping the car in good order.. and will throw doubt on the rest of the car.

Badly corroded indicates the car has been sitting long without being driven.. which is never a good thing.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Yep, Aero if you can afford it.

Like Mark, I'm driving a 1992 LH/APC 2.3FPT with TCS and luckly mine was fixed just before I bought it, but the TCS is crude and is very intrusive when it kicks in. But for what I paid for my car, I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
312 Posts

I think the choice would depend on your budget somewhat as Mark has mentioned repairs that are due around this mileage. I have driven both cars and still prefer my '92 9000CD but then again....I may be prejudiced!!

·
Registered
285 Posts

Well there sure isnt anything "GENERIC" about my 92 9000T it's still agreat car even with the tcs and srs faults..but if i had the option to get either 1 the common since approach is the newer of the 2 would be better. Still I love blowing by other cars
even if i have a bad exhaust and the headliner is starting to sag and the radio doesn't always work and I have TCS ( which you can bypass) and SRS faults on her,and I should prob replace the brakes and bushings and mounts soon ..But when the turbo kicks in

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

Gundam..

Sorry mate, I wasn't having a pop at normal 2.3Ts.. I own a brillant fully modified Abbott Racing 2.3T 9000 CD Griffin from 1992... (so kinda know about maintaining a 1992.. and how difficult it is to remove TCS.. i.e. replacement of throttle body etc..$$$$$$)

And indeed I love the feeling when I unleash all 265 to 270 horses on some unsuspecting BMW.. (not that I condone this sort of thing).

However the 1992 is not the best 9000.. a later model Aero however is. And if one is wanting to do some modification, the Aero is a far better place to start.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

I'd probably agree, I've a 91 2.3 Carly and a 93 Aero.

Completely different cars.

The carly has poly and a cat bypass, and that is where it will end (ish).

The Aero has Poly and about to get some more toys. That's the one to mod.

Both Have TCS, which strangly works really well.

Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts