Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm, I own an old version of each. The 900 has a beautiful shape but seems a bit slow especially when compared to the 9000. It only boosts half way up the apc dial. I love the 9000's overall performance but it hasn't got looks that appeal to me.

Which car has the most performance potential? Can a 900 be as quick as a 9000? I'm probably going to replace them both with newer versions but would like to make an informed choice especially with the 9000. Which 9000 is most desirable?

Is there a source which covers engine and performance specifications for both models? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Moved to the Performance forum for (hopefully) a better response.

I'd have though the CS would have the most potential power wise -handling wise I don't know.

Debate!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'd say the most desirable 9000 is the Aero, but then I'm biased

A Carlsson has a certain cachet as well.

A well sorted c900 can challenge most 9000s even modded ones but, if you have the budget, I think an extensively modded 9000 will take the prize. I do believe those folks in the know will say that the c900 is more of a drivers car.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
they are both very different

9000 can be taken to over 400 hp and are still drivable
900's limit is probably 300 (because of the gearbox)
the 900 is better handling wise with a double wishbone set up it feels really good in the corners
the 9000 is a better riding car but it loses precision in the corners with a quite wallowy squidgy type of cornering
this can be tightened up considerably with the liberal application of pu bushings/ tighter springs/thicker ar bars and better shocks but you lose a lot of the compliant ride and it can be quite harsh and you never quite get that lovely steering feel of a 900
however for ultimate grip...9000
for ultimate feel ...900

you pays your money....

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
It only boosts half way up the apc dial. I love the 9000's overall performance but it hasn't got looks that appeal to me.[/b]
Sounds like your car is running base boost only. There's a problem somewhere, I'm sure a c900 will be along shortly to offer some advice as to where the problem might lie.

I'm a 9000 owner, but I love both the c900 and the 9000. If I could, I would have one of each but (IMHO) the 9000 is more practical than the c900 and also gives you a lot more car for your £/$.

·
Registered
453 Posts
A stock T16S is only supposed to boost to the border of the yellow/red section (using 95 RON anyway).

Don't expect it to go into the red unless you've been playing!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If it boosts up to (roughly) halfway the yellow zone, I'd assume the APC system is not working, essentially rendering your car a low pressure turbo. No wonder it feels a bit limp compared to a 2.3T running on full strength.

As for ultimate capability, IMO Ylee's got it about right. I personally think the ultimate road/trackday Saab would be based on a classic 900, but then I'm biased. I wager to guess anything above 300 bhp in a FWD car would be an irrelevance except in a straight line above 100 mph - but we'll see about that when we get the best examples of the breed together at an airfield with a data logger. I might be in for a surprise.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Posted by EVS:
 but we'll see about that when we get the best examples of the breed together at an airfield with a data logger.  [/b]
I wouldn't call mine a "best" example, which could thus exclude me

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Originally posted by StanleyB:
[qb]Posted by EVS:
  but we'll see about that when we get the best examples of the breed together at an airfield with a data logger.  [/b]
I wouldn't call mine a "best" example, which could thus exclude me
. [/qb][/b][/quote]If you're up to it, we can get this thing rolling as a 'prologue' event - so far it's Ylee, Mark E, Bill J and myself. If JezF is willing to enter either of his steeds and Matt Faulks will come out to play, I reckon we have as big a field as we can manage on one morning, and one consisting of very aspirational machinery, too . Brunters would be the obvious place for it to take place.
Only question -who'll be The Stig?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
posted by EVS:
If you're up to it, we can get this thing rolling as a 'prologue' event [/b]
As I recall from THIS POST, you put me at the top of the "Viking" list

As far as the "Stig" is concerned: perhaps another topic, soliciting for brave hearts ?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Originally posted by StanleyB:
[QB]posted by EVS:
If you're up to it, we can get this thing rolling as a 'prologue' event [/b]
As I recall from THIS POST, you put me at the top of the "Viking" list

[/b][/quote]That was back in January - things may have changed since then for the couple of folks that showed interest, and there weren't enough of them to warrant going through with a 'big' event (i.e. soliciting entrants on the same kind of basis as TD05 et al) - so current line of thinking is to start off with a smaller 'exclusive' type of event with only a handful of entries from within SSc circles (which would mean each car would get a more indepth presentation in the writeups for Saabs.info, the SOC mag et cetera).
I'm pretty much approaching people on a individual basis as the occasion arises - hence my renewed invitation to you, after aforementioned TD05 organizers agreed to go with the plan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts