Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
[h=2]Hi Do you still have the up date available? I have a 55 reg 9-5 touchscreen sat-nav that needs an update[/h]
Yes, the latest Landrover (RR) DVD works fine, or a good quality copy !
The Saab 95 denso navi system needs a firmware update if the latest DVD the unit has operated with has a part nr equal to or lower than saab part nr. 12767415 (2005/2006 DVD)
All units from 2005/2006 first need that update otherwise the latest DVD does not work.
I have tested this many times and have helped Saab owners from 2005/ 2006 map data to 2011 maps including the firmware update !
The 2011/2012 maps also work on the kenwood dv3200 unit of the 2004/2005 Saabs , without any need for firmware update.
Let me know if there are 95-ers who want to get up to date.​

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to dijkvr. Thanks to his help I have downloaded the update and it is working fine in MY08 9-5 Airflow estate.

I didn't need the firmware update, just the map update, so all good.

If you have the 9-5 II (new version) , I don not know, will be difficult.
If you have the latest "Dame Etna" type with Denso navi, probably with DVD with Saab part nr. 12841605 ? or higher , yes There is a later 2011/2012 DVD which works, see above !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have the Denso nav in my '07 Aero estate. It appears 'locked up' at the moment and is very slow. I tried an update DVD from here:http://www.satnav-updates.com/2012-saab-9-5-western-europe-for-touch-screen-system-83-p.asp but unfortunately I receive the message 'Unable to read DVD' when the new disc was introduced into the unit.

I am pretty underwhelmed by the system to be honest. Is there any way to check that the unit itself isn't faulty or whether it needs a simple firmware update? I have the original Saab DVD, dated 2007.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is the part nr of the DVD you have in your system now ? Have you ever cleaned the unit with a special cleaning DVD?
Is the original DVD without signs of wear and tear ? Hopefully I can help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
High Davy, I will respond to you in a PN as I need to first understand what DVD you have purchased and if that is the correct 95 SAT navi . I was also informed by another member that he purchased a DVD recently which did not work, while he already had had his firmware update !
hi a newbee here, i have a saab 9-5 aero 05 reg and my sat nav needs a update were do i get a disc from and which one and do i need to update the firmware first? what unit do you think i have in my car?

any help thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have the DVD entry in the front unit, you probably have the DVD in with Saab Part nr 5376314/5 ? or 12767415 ?
In that case you need the 2008 firmware update DVD Saab part 12771885 or 12841605 and then finally the latest Landrover DVD with Denso nr 464210-7550 for western europe 2011/2012.
Some sites offer the latest DVD, but not the Saab firmware DVD and in that case the landrover DVD will not work.
Drop me a PN if you need further help to get up to date. Downloading and burn-it-yourself is the cheapest option

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, the latest Landrover (RR) DVD works fine, or a good quality copy !
The Saab 95 denso navi system needs a firmware update if the latest DVD the unit has operated with has a part nr equal to or lower than saab part nr. 12767415 (2005/2006 DVD)
All units from 2005/2006 first need that update otherwise the latest DVD does not work.
I have tested this many times and have helped Saab owners from 2005/ 2006 map data to 2011 maps including the firmware update !
The 2011/2012 maps also work on the kenwood dv3200 unit of the 2004/2005 Saabs , without any need for firmware update.
Let me know if there are 95-ers who want to get up to date.
Hi, I have a 2007 9-5 with a 2006 sat nav disc. I wish to update to the latest disc, how do I go about this? May thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
You only need the firmware update if your saab dvd has a part nr equal to or lower than12767415, ie for years up to 2007. The firmware is on the dvd from 2007 and 2008 starting with the nr 12771885. Dvd from 2009 onward do not carry the firmware update, so if you are not updated the later dvd will not work.
When you do not want to trouble looking for or downloading and burning the correct dvd,s , drop me a pn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, thank you for the information, the part no. on my disc is 1276415. I am very interested in any update you can offer. many thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
For all who are struggling with a faulty SatNav in your 9-5 can I suggest you contact member dijkvr (Ruud). He has been a real help and got me sorted rapidly after several frustrating months.

The SatNav in my Saab 9-5 (660) T Linear SE 2008 gradually failed over a few weeks and finally showed only error messages 'Please insert a MAP DVD' and 'MAP DVD Read Error'. The original disc is Saab part number 12779152 and the date given on the DVD is 2007 Denso Corporation. I reckoned the disc was faulty so I bought a replacement disc on line from Navimaps but it also produced the same messages. I contacted them and they replied that I needed a 2008 DVD to update the firmware but these were presently unavailable. Saab replacement discs were £336 and were said not to be available for 6 months. Through the forum I contacted Ruud who explained that I did not need a firmware update as DVD 12779152 already has the firmware on it. He suggested the unit itself may simply need cleaning and he sent me very clear instructions how to remove the unit and clean the lens. I got my Saab service engineer to do it (a first for him) and the system is now back to normal. Ruud also sent me a replacement DVD.

Easy solution to a frustrating problem..
Thanks Ruud.

Andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you Ruut for your info about sat-update.
Would appreciate of you could help me with an update on the Firmware for a Denso, SAAB 9-5 2005. My sytem has a firmware # 12779152. Reading your mail dated 09-18-2012 I suppose I do not need any update on the firmware. But if I need an update how do I proceed ?
Regards
Sigurd

·
Registered
1 Posts
I contacted Ruud (dijkvr) in late August and he sent me a 2012 disk to replace the 2007 disk in my Saab 9-5 Aero Estate. It arrived in a couple of days and worked immediately. A considerable advance on the old one, and all for €25. Thanks, Ruud!
Peter Kelly

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I bought a 2012 disk from the internet for my 9-5 MY08, it worked fine for quite some time but then started giving 'map read error' messages, or others implying the dvd was not a map disk. This got progressively worse and I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of disk activity going on, also the system was getting hot. I have reverted to the original 2007 dvd, which runs much cooler. A bit of research on the web found a few warnings about using copy disks, especially about the hot running - it seems the rewritable copy disks (bluish colour, rather than silver) do not read as well as original disks, resulting in the system having to make multiple reads to obtain useable data, hence the overheating. I would be happy to replace a copy disk that has deteriorated every year - map updates are fairly frequent anyway - but I am a little concerned about the effect on the system as the reports also claim that the excessive laser activity could shorten its life. This could, of course, just be scaremongering by vendors of overpriced originals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, most of the time these problems indeed occur with copied disks, original disk are better. But is has to do with either fouling of the laser or quality drop of the "back-up" disk over a longer period.
But I have cleaned the units for several people who had the same problems with "back-up" copies and this really solves the problem , see also comments further on this forum
Please drop me an email or PM, than I can send you a file with simple cleaning instruction (15 min work)

I can also now inform you about the lastest 2013 DVD versions for our Denso and dv3200 system

cheers

Ruud

·
Registered
53 Posts
Having bought my disc from 'here' after a few minutes use (in summer) it was making errors and temporarily bodged my sat nav - hasnt seen the light of day since. If i was selling such copied discs for the sake of the £10 profit I would be making..I would give a stern warning that this disc MAY not work and the heat MAY damage your very exepensive sat nav.

Sgould has written that his sat nav packed in.. not sure if he was using copied disc.. im looking for a genuine disc that is compatible...

FAO dijkvr perhaps you could post your 15 minutes clean up on this thread to use as a reference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will be more than happy to share the 3 page PDF document I prepared for taking people through the steps to take in order to remove the denso unit with the special tools and how to open the top cover and clean the unit, however not sure how I can get this info copied as a series of pictures into this Post. If you or other interested send me your email adres by PM I will provide you with the info with pleasure.

( I managed see below !)

21 - 40 of 56 Posts