Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm new to this site - first post. I'm interested in making my Saab 9-5 a little more exciting to drive.

It's a 1998 9-5 2.0 LPT auto, has c73k on the clock. Always been serviced, nothing major ever gone wrong yet (touch wood)

I see in the Saab accessories book they do some performance tuning but not for the auto. Is this because auto boxes aren't as strong?

Anyway, I'd like to know the options for perf tuning mine. Do I get the chip changes, should I change the more physical things - turbo, intercooler etc.

I'm not bothered about looks - ie spoilers but would consider change suspension and / or braking.

Ideas appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene!!

If you have an auto you need to be sure that any engine upgrade will keep the torque output under control, especially in the lower gears.

Maptun are worth a look. As are Hirsch. Also you could click the "Saab Parts" link at the top of the page and look at the suspension/tuning options there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, not seen Maptun before but will def give them a call. Doesn't look too expensive either.

Basically I just want a bit more oomph. I know I'd be better off getting an Aero but I've had this car for 3 years and was 26 when I bought it - insurance in London is expensive without getting an Aero.

Asking a potentially obvious question here.. what are the logistics of getting an upgrade? Do I just visit someone like Maptun, they plug ina new ECU chip, check all is OK and off I go?

What happens if it isn't compatible and the engine dies of a result. Am I up creek sans paddle?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Aargh, I've been stupid. you have a 9-5. Ignore what I say below (I've left it just in case there are 9000 auto owners considering this)

Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]Maptun are worth a look. As are Hirsch. [/qb][/b]
And Abbott, especially if you're not intending to go beyond the equivalent of a stage 1 (as is likely with an auto).

I've had the Abbott ECU upgrade for about 50K miles now without any problems, and it's been great. My impression is that it achieves the power a bit more crudely than Maptun etc (e.g. it doesn't include an APC and ups the base boost), but from discussion here it maybe fits the characteristics of an auto better than some.

I suspect it does increase torque beyond the theoretical limit for the box, but as I said, I've had 50K miles and counting and no sign of autobox failure yet. I don't drive like a maniac, though (although the increased power/torque is very noticable and useful even when not at WOT)

Abbott's quite a lot cheaper, too.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
If you get an upgraded ECU it will be on an exchange basis, so you are not off the road. The tuner needs the VIN number of your car and/or number from the ECU and it should then work on your car when it arrives. Or you keep you original ECU for changing back later and the tuner keeps your deposit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you have any doupt then pay the extra money and keep the org. ECU.

There is no problem running a upgraded ECU with an Auto box, just dont over do it!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Originally posted by gpmanning7:
[qb]Basically I just want a bit more oomph. I know I'd be better off getting an Aero but I've had this car for 3 years and was 26 when I bought it - insurance in London is expensive without getting an Aero.

[/qb][/b]
I'd get some quotes first - for me, the insurance for a 9-5 Aero is around half the cost of my 2.0LPT 9-5 if it was modded up to 215BHP I was going to go the same route, though am going to save up for the Aero instead!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point about the insurance call. I'll find out from Elephant what it would be. Thing is, it would cost a lot more to buy an Aero than the upgrade and a bit extra on insurance.

It's all a compromise so we'll see what happens. My job might change too which means I will be getting the Tube rather than driving so I don't want to spend too much on a car I only drive 3 times a month.

Managed to get 32 mpg from it this morning on the way to work, which included a stretch in stop / start London and a stint on the M3. Was happy with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts