Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 9000 Aero (94) and have just seen a 9-5 (Auto) (97) that caught my eye. I took it out for a test drive and found it to be a bit "Growly"! I have a feeling that there is a wheel bearing on the way out on it but I was wondering if anyone out there has heard of any probs with the early 9-5 auto transmissions.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I've got a 98 9-5 2.3SE. It does sound growly from time to time but seems to be road noise and tyre related. What tyres does the one you tried have? There's a feeling on this board that the 9-5 is a bit tyre sensitive. I am running Michelin Primacy 215/55/16 93V. They are fine on good surfaces but noisy on bad and very noisy in the wet. My wife's Ford Galaxy MPV is running Continental tyres, and on the same surfaces they are noisier than the Saab on the smooth stuff but quieter than the Saab on the rough stuff.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've got a 98 9-5 2.0SE (manual - not auto) - the engine can sound a little gruff if you floor it - but still better than other makes of car I've had.
As sgould says, the only real problem is road /tyre noise - the 9-5 seems to suffer from this, but only on rough road surfaces.
I need to look around for quieter tyres when they need replacing

Cheers, Vince

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I think that when it was raised before, Saabman (?) gave good reports of Dunlop SP9000.

There's also the problem that it might be the tyre size and make combined. So, the recommendations for the 2.3 SE with 215/55/16 tyre may not apply to the 2.0 with different tyre and wheel size.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My 2.0 has the same size as your 2.3 - a little excesive for the bhp you may think, but it doesn't need much to get em squealing.

May have to see what I can find out about the Dunlops.

Cheers, Vince

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for all your responses. Basically, I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't looking at an impending problem. The 9-5 is 4 years younger than the Aero and as much as I love the Aero it IS a red car and awfull to stop the paintwork going "flat". The 9-5 is a metallic green and a heck of a site easier to keep looking smart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts