Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've had the heater problem!! 'Fixed' under warranty but comes back occasionally! And the hot air is bloody hot!!

Another problem That I've not had on the 95, but I had on my 900 and I'm told that it is common on the 95 also - the drive pulley system failing - bearings in idler pulleys seize up and cause the whole system to fail - loss of all power assisted functions - steering, braking, etc, etc. Not fun!
I had my (friendly) dealer run a check and, in 19 days of one month, he'd had 23 cars in with this problem......

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Originally posted by swiltshire:
[qb]Another problem That I've not had on the 95, but I had on my 900 and I'm told that it is common on the 95 also - the drive pulley system failing - bearings in idler pulleys seize up and cause the whole system to fail - loss of all power assisted functions - steering, braking, etc, etc. Not fun! [/qb][/b]
Literally two days after Paul Whittle warned of this problem a couple of years ago it happened to my old man on the M25

·
Registered
244 Posts
read this 22/12/03 - had this problem 19/12/03 - (albeit in a GM900 - broke on motorway and blew coolant hoses)

the day after it was posted

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
If the Bosch Diaphram Dump valve fails it may emit a hooting sound, (like an owl) as pressure escapes. Replacing the Bosch unit, which is not repairable, is around £35 from Saab but other more reliable alternatives are available such as the Forge Piston Recirculating Dump Valve at around £95. Both would take minutes to fit and is a simple DIY task. The latter type is a servicable item

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Originally posted by Ken J A:
[qb]My suggestion is not to buy a Saab 9-5.  Nothing but expense and problems. [/qb][/b]
That's not really very descriptive and helps little to the purpose of this thread.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Originally posted by swiltshire:
[qb]Another problem That I've not had on the 95, but I had on my 900 and I'm told that it is common on the 95 also - the drive pulley system failing - bearings in idler pulleys seize up and cause the whole system to fail - loss of all power assisted functions - steering, braking, etc, etc. Not fun! I had my (friendly) dealer run a check and, in 19 days of one month, he'd had 23 cars in with this problem [/qb][/b]
Supplementary to this, and forwarding info from a recent thread:

Revised pulleys with larger bearings were fitted early on in the MY99 model run: this was from chassis number X3025752. Another way of checking is that if your rear brake caliper is the same type as the front [ignore its position] then it has the revised pulleys. There's some anecdotal evidence that these are a little more resilient. Esp/y for pre-MY99 models, therefore, it would be wise to replace the pulleys along with the drive belt when the latter is changed at the 66k service.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
If looking at the 3.0TiD, check for signs of smoke and that the car has had the necessary SW updates and the latest HW recall completed. If so it should have revised pipework as fitted to MY04 cars, and all this can be confirmed by any main dealer from the VIN.

This is especially relevant to the earlier MY02 cars (51-52 reg in UK).

Watch out for iffy tyre wear on these as I've found to my cost...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello,

I had the gearbox on my MY00 Aero estate rebuilt twice, still not entirely smooth (fifth was worse, but eventually all gears were crunchy).

Shock absorbers went too.

No one seems to have mentioned leaking water into the boot pouring out of light panels in boot lid - failed rear washer/wiper pipe somewhere (whole wiper/motor asssembly replaced).

TIPS - Cut out some clear perspex and use double sided sticky pads to protect the front fogs and the headlamp protectors are not cheap, but less than a headlamp.

Spoiler on wiper blade detached on one of its two mounts and drew pretty scratches right in the eye line - had it polished out for £80 seemed safer than risking a replacement screen. Wipes just as well with the spoiler thingy in the bin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
comparing '97 900SET cabrio automatic (148Tkm)with '99 9-5Aero automatic station (95Tkm), we've had much more problems with with 9-5.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought an Abbott Racing modified 1999 T reg 9-5 SE 2.3 Estate with 70,000 on the clock 2 years ago within a month I noticed that if I took my foot off the throttle after hard accelerating then a huge cloud of smoke would appear behind me. This turned out to be a fauty Turbo, which the dealer replaced under warranty without any fuss, he also had to replace the A/C compressor under warranty. So I gues what I am saying is get a good warranty with the car and then use it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
do saabscene have a used Saab register somewhere? all these cars which have been well maintained by enthusiasts - would be nice to punch in a registration and find that the car you are purchasing was owned by
, (well..
until it was sold), and giving a description of any work done etc.. suppose it could get a bit complicated/acrimonius, but would give a bit more feedback in some cases when buying a used Saab

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
When considering upgrading your 9-5's audio system please remember that second hand Saab audio units, CD players and CD changers often found on ebay and other sites have to have been properly divorced from the orginal car by a Saab Dealer with Tech 2 and then married to your car using the same process in order to work. Unless this has been done the item will be an expensive paperweight.

Pay no attention to sellers of these items who state they have "the code", or they can be "re-programmed", they cannot

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by Norbert (HB-EX..):
[qb]comparing '97 900SET cabrio automatic (148Tkm)with '99 9-5Aero automatic station (95Tkm), we've had much more problems with with 9-5.       [/qb][/b]
just to let you know: the AERO died mid of April, again the turbo failed (4th in this car), but this time due to less oil the motor was damaged.
I sold the broken car and we are now on a 9-5 station 2.2diesel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I broke down a couple of months ago (having all sorts of problems with this Saab) and it was the Direct Ignition Coil. Breakdown chap says that he recovers quite a few Saabs with this problem.

Not too sure how to look out for it when viewing a potential purchase without actually taking a screwdriver to the unit and taking it out at the viewing. Not sure whether a dealer/seller would like you doing this though.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Originally posted by vic_rattlehead:
[qb]Not too sure how to look out for it when viewing a potential purchase without actually taking a screwdriver to the unit and taking it out at the viewing. [/qb][/b]
Most of the internals are sealed in. I don't think you can tell anything by just looking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My suggestion is not to buy a Saab 9-5. Nothing but expense and problems.  [/b]
I have to agree, my gearbox died after 34k miles. SAAB UK customer services don't even bother to return your phone call. My advice would be just don't go there, SAAB have a long way to go yet.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Originally posted by /john:

OK, I have searched through the 9-5 forum but I can't see the info I am after.

Can I have some input from current 9-5 owners as to the sorts of things to look out for when viewing a Saab 9-5 as a potential purchase. The one to be viewed is a 1999/T 9-5 2.3t Wagon - but all information covering the range of Saab 9-5s would be welcomed here to serve as a guide for future users.

NB: Can we keep this one on topic please, it will then be a useful thread in the Saab 9-5 forum

TIA

21 - 40 of 100 Posts