Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I installed stage 3 280Ps with sport cat and i must say the difference is enormously! I had stage 1 but from 4000 rpm is something between day and night. stage 1 120-160 4th 6.5 sec, stage 3 5.4 sec! Spool up times are also impoved.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by 9-5 aero:
[qb]it's a Maptun one [/qb][/b]
Hi,

I would be very curious how much you put down on the dyno. I had essentially the same setup, B235R with MapTun Stage III (well your 9-5 has the better IC than the Viggen), and I was never able to dyno more than 252 hp before I changed intake pipe, ic and had the cylinder head gas flowed - although the car felt tremendously improved over the stock 232 hp (there was in fact a 40 hp gain at some point in the power curve, but not at the top).

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
778 Posts
Say no more Philip. Yes, they are essentially the same engine, but like you noted, the intercoolers are, essentially, not the same - the Viggen's wont dissipate the heat like the 9-5 will. As Dr Boost is fond of quoting - "heat is your worst enemy"!
However, what's interesting is that someone who's probably pretty close to St. Gallen went all the way to Scandinavia for their tuning. I think it's a no-brainer when value/euro or value/kroner is considered.....MapTun are a very safe alternative to the Saab 'certified' tuning. It's a shame that they're not more widely recognized, here in the 'states.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi 9-5aero,

I must say that the maptun stage 3 price is also very apealing at around 1300 uk pounds area compared to the high price hirsh pack both at 280bhp although i initially was drawn to the hirsh formula, tight pockets are pushing me the maptun way.
Have you got the following installed
Maptun software
3" Exhaust system
J/R High flow air filter
Sport catalyst
Fuel pressure regulator
Can you install yourself or does it have to be by maptun, and if so, how long to install and at what price for install ?
How does the exhaust note differ to the original set-up which is beautiful and quiet but lacks a bit of bark at the higher revs.
Ideally i love the original performance but could do with more oomph at the higher revs and you say at 4000 rpm it takes offff ?
Also ideally i would like a quiet cruising exhaust that rumbles only on wot.
Any answers appreciated

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ya, my last 9000 had the software done by MapTun (my present one will have it, too). It was considered a stage IV, with green injectors, 3" exhaust, a 50 mm IC, and less restrictive intake (removed snorkel w/added holes). It developed peak boost (1.65 bar) between 3.5-4.5k rpms. It only tapered down to ~1.2 bar near the red-line. That software was done 2 years ago and has been refined, since. The stage IV now incorporates a 3 bar MAP sensor, and different timing maps, IIRC. I don't think the boost pressures are as high, but because of the refined timing, the power has not decreased, and the safety factor, with the 3 bar MAP, has increased.

And metaxu,
Also ideally i would like a quiet cruising exhaust that rumbles only on wot.[/b]
Mine had a JT 3" downpipe, but I used a 3" Catco cat' and a Magnaflow muffler. Although the muffler was a straight-thru design, it was surprisingly quiet at idle, or cruising on the highway, but gave a very nice low-toned growl at WOT.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Oops, forgot to add: you can order the staged package and install it yourself, if you're so inclined. The reprogrammed ECU is a plug & play procedure. It does require adaptation, but most Saab owners know this procedure, and if they don't, there's many here that will explain! I've always had spare ECU's lying about so that when it comes time for 'tuning', I'm still able to drive in stock mode.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi 9-5 Aero

This is great to hear. I have been waiting for somebody to come to the forum with experience of the stage 3 on a 95 aero.

Were you 250bhp as standard (02-04 model) or were you 230bhp as standard in which case you are likely to be more thrilled than I will be.

I have the 04 (250bhp) and am 90% certain of going for the Maptun Stage 3 in the next two months. West Midlands Saab have taken the readings from my ECU so just need to pick up the phone now and place the order

Like Metaxu i would like to know how the exhaust note sounds. I am going to go for the JT twin pipes which appears to look good on the estate.

cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would be really ineresting to see how much power i put down. I suppose, that the car is at about 280 PS because of the difference between stage 1. Hirsch is also very reliable but also expensive. I am very happy with maptun. The next mode (in summer) will be the intercooler, which will help to reduce the "heat shock". Cat back system is at the moment the stock one and i have only changed the turbo intake pipe.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The reprogrammed ECU is a plug & play procedure. It does require adaptation, but most Saab owners know this procedure, and if they don't, there's many here that will explain!  [/b]
I never adapted my ecu. It's a stage 3 Maptun and I have the other bits with it (3" JT exhaust, JR air filter) and I have since modified my air box. Do I need to do an adaption run? And if so, how (If its anything like checking base boost then )

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, it differs for the T5's & T7's, but from your avatar, I'm assuming you have a T5. To do an adaptation, simple find a long, straight hill and start accelerating, in the tallest gear possible, from ~2000 rpm, up to 3500 rpm. Carefull, if you do it in 5th - you'll be above posted speeds everywhere, except on the Autobahn. It'll adapt in 4th, but the longer the adaptation run, the better. Do a search under boost adaptation - there are other adaptations that the ECU does - I'm sure BillJ has this written-up on his excellent site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts