Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing jobs and got a bit of money to spare (GBP5,194 exact): Engine upgrade - Hirsch quoted an upgrade from the 230BHP to 280BHP and 400Nm. This equates to +_R25,000 (i.e. South African rand). I can stomach this excluding fitting by Sandton Saab in Johannesburg.

Without going thru the whack of all technical merits, what should I consider for the suspension to bring it on par with the 2002 9-5 Aero version? For the braking system, would Brembo grooved and ventilated discs and pads do the job? I have researched the site and the information is useful, to the point and often accurate to arrive at a worthwhile conclusion. Somewhere I read about Koni or Eibach suspension kits. Do not want to lower anything though.

A lovely weekend gentlemen

Desert Aero

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Don't know if it applies to the 230 hp Aero. Has it got ESP? If so a suspension change may upset it and make the handling worse. If you can afford the Hirsh then it will all have been aproved by Saab (I think).

As far as brakes go I think the pad material is more important than the disc. Depends on your driving circumstances and I, probably among many, are totally ignorant of the conditions for driving an Aero in Namibia.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turbo Talker
Hirsch Switzerland confirmed that the only upgrade they would suggest is the 280hp / 400Nm. That is the only upgrade suitable as far as Hirsch is concerned for the 169kW / 350Nm 2001
9-5 Aero.

It has TCS (traction control), ABS, but no ESP. Not sure about EBD. The manual says Naa!

Without polising the road conditions and infrastructure in Namibia, (James in Cape Town can vouch for this), they are first class, albeit too winding and huge distances between the little bit of urban centers. To service the car after every 15,000km, I often cover a return leg of +_800km! And without any disdain for traffic laws (got caught twice since acquiring the car in 2001), at an average speed of 160kph, depending on the traffic (I have to add that since I work for Rio Tinto Group of Companies, safety and driving is paramount and hence I am a responsible "pilot". It is not the speed, but what you do with the speed that defines a driver). At the coast, the huge reserves of power and thrust is intoxicating, but at altitude (Windhoek, the capital city), it sometimes does not have that edge to match the performance at the coast where I live. (I think something to do with that "adaptation thing".)

To cope with the relentless thrust should I go the Hirsch route, I need to have the handling of the 2002 version and the stopping power, hence the inquiry.

Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris,

Thanks. Will run thru these threads.

Hirsch's price is EUR 3400.

Note: Edit performed to remove private e-mail content.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Originally posted by Desert Aero:
[qb] The price is EUR 3400.- excl. Taxes, freight and mounting. [/qb][/b]
Thats GBP £2250

I'd go for the Maptun Stage Three, its silky smooth and spend some of the rest on better brake pads or even a big brake conversion

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't know anything about these upgrades, and approach everything from a C900 point of view, but I used to get some loss of performance at altitude when I used to drive from Beira at sea level to Harare at 5000 ft. I often thought at the time that an improved air filter would help, particularly given the dusty conditions. A larger intercooler probably wouldn't do any harm either. As for suspension, I was looking at getting a Koni kit for my C900 but also did not want to lower the car. I was assured that the Koni adjustables (for the 900, anyway) could be set to an equivalent ride height as stock.

I remember Swakopmund. It was the end of the road for me after a very long drive from Mozambique.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Desert Aero, if you go ahead with this give me a shout. I know a very well-qualified chap in Cape Town who could fit the lot for you, and potentially save a fair bit on getting it done at a dealer.

Abbott Racing also do stuff for the 9-5, and have supplied to SA before; I know of a guy up in Fiksburg with an Abbotted GM900.

Cheers

James

·
Registered
186 Posts
Like desrt aero, im looking at uping the 230bhp unit and initially i was going for maptun, abbott or speedpart as all 3 are lower price range and sound like excellent products .But my heart is pushing me to hirsh and im now thinking off a long-term buck save and going for the hirsh 280bhp kit which i really like the philosophy off but the price is a bit steep to say the least.
I also think the hirsh saab approved tag would be helpfull for car-resale value in future.

With regard to upgrading car handling, has anyone with an early aero fitted these
http://www.elkparts.co.uk/product_info.php...products_id=877

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Desert Aero:
[qb]To cope with the relentless thrust should I go the Hirsch route, I need to have the handling of the 2002 version and the stopping power, hence the inquiry.
[/qb][/b]
If you don't want to lower the car but want facelift (2002 onwards) improvement to handling, check out the Abbott Racing site for these:-
Front Strut/Upright Brace Brackets, £225. Part Number: ECH010
Claim to upgrade the handling to 2002 car levels.

For brake upgrades, how about one of these?:-
Brembo big brake kit

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think my head is sorted out now. James, will let you know by September 2004.

Does anyone have any information w.r.t. the Brembo upgrade kit from mainland Europe as I believe the euro will bring a sigh of relief as opposed to the GBP seeing that my paltry Namibia dollar is losing ground against the pound sterling at an alarming rate?

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts