Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So that's the CD player plus EHU out, still connected by the ariel

Pull the tab down and off it comes

With it disconnected its miles easier to get the fibre optic wires out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The CD players attached to the cage by 2 clips, get something thin each side, gently prise them out then the player slides out. This can probably be removed in situ with some Saab stereo removal keys but I wanted the lot out to get a better idea of what's what.

Standard DIN sized hole for an aftermarket unit :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Here's the fibre optic plug that was in the side of the CD players housing

The fibre optic cables are in a separate plug inside this one, push the tab in and out it comes

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
These then have to come out and put to face each other to keep the fibre optic loop working, need to be gentle here (where the fun starts)

You have to push the blue bung up from the thin side, which then releases both cables from the holder

I'd keep all these bits in a safe place in case you have to put it back again!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I went through about 6/7 biros here trying to get the correct fit and length but found a retractable pencil best here and used the small inside tube which was a perfect fit. I started off with around an inch length but that didn't work, then measured it so both cables were a few mm away then it worked fine.

Taped up & secure...not pretty but it works :wink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Everything reconnected and put back in

Battery back on for the 8th or 9th time! And its all good! Radio works as before, all speakers working fine....so that's done!

Aux in is also still working fine....happy days!

So everything works as before minus the CD player. Too about an hour tops, biggest pain was finding the correct size tube for the fibre optic loop, but you can buy an adapter which connects to the block itself (I think GS sell them?)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Then I trial fitted the Pioneer.

Slides straight in....and keep on going! The HUs cage can't be used as it won't fit, and the securing clips each side are different to the Saab ones....not sure how I'm going to secure this, maybe it can be screwed into the cage?

Next problem is the ash tray, his has a lip to it which stops the face plate coming all the way down so you can't fit a cd, not a massive problem as ill be mainly using USB but playing the odd CD would be nice! Wouldn't be an issue with a normal face off unit but this one drops down to change CD's!

That's as far as it gets

Needs to be like this with it removed... so that's another little problem to try & sort out!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Powering the Pioneer

This is the Pioneers connector block, all standard wiring bit none of the speaker wires will be used as its going to be amped so RCA's only

So all I need to wire up are these-

Earth, 2x power, illum & remote to the amps

Some guys tap into the EHU to power up an aftermarket head unit but I'm not so keen, ill probably damage it plus I want to keep this system reversible when I sell up.

So what was suggested is to use the cars phone kit instead, I'll never need it as the headunit has Bluetooth anyway!

And here's what it plugs into

Just need to solder on an iso connector then wire it up as normal

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Here's it connected up-

That needs to be soldered onto this wire to create a loom, just had to cut off the black block on the top and solder a few wires.

Just tapped together to make sure it's working

So wires from the phone kit are-

Red 12v memory
Red/blue 12v power
Black earth

Doesn't need the illum connected, probably only needed if you want to adjust the brightness with the dash lights.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Soldered/heat shrunk the harness properly and heat shrunk any spare wires so that's one pita job done!

So just have these 3 wires connected until I fit the amps and connect the blue remote wire, not bothering with the illum...

1 x loom finally done!

So that plugs into the back of the head unit as normal, into the ISO connector then into the phone kit.

Powered up fine, fingers crossed the earth will be ok and it won't pick up any noise...

So that's one way to do it! Bit of a pain but got there in the end!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
New head unit coming this week which changes things, gives me an extra channel and a lot more fine tuning options :D

Pioneer DEX-P99RS
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/121/61/DEX-P99RS/page.html

Sort of similar to my 80PRS but a lot more high end. Much better build quality and copper chassis but also a lot more involving and takes a lot more work to get the best sound. A lot of competition guys use it so there's a massive learning curve coming up!
Gives me the extra channel to go fully active and 4 way (high/mid/low/sub) so I can have the 3 way comps up front plus subs, 31 band EQ vs the 80prs 16 band!!! 'Up scales' the iPhone or USB music to get the best out of it (handy as I don't use cd's anymore!) has the auto EQ & time alignment same as the prs but better to fine tune manually once I get to grips with it. Loads more it can do and really is a massive step up from what I've got now! Been after one for ages :)

Decent review here-
http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Product-Reviews/INCAR/pioneer-dex-p99rs-high-end-cd-receiver-head-unit/All-Pages.html

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Head units here

Copper chassis

Have to solder on another iso connector tomorrow.

4 sets of RCA pre-outs

Best get reading up on this one as it looks complicated to set up...

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Got to say the best I've had mine sounding was then I went straight from my phone or media player (24 bit 96khz flac mainly) to a behringer dcx2496 then to amps running 3way active with the mid highs passively split to give 4way

Put it back through the clarion for cd & dab as dab needs attenuation

Would be good to see & hear your system when you've finished

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Just had to google it! Looks mad! Is it an active crossover or processor?

Hopefully I'll get a spare couple hours tomorrow to solder the harness and get it plugged in :)

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
It's designed for pro audio as a speaker management so it's got analogue, digital & microphone inputs with 6 outputs with selectable left, right or sum, each output has independent crossover points, gain, limiters, eq & parametric eq

Probably does other bits as well but I only use it for crossover & eq on bass in the car

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It's designed for pro audio as a speaker management so it's got analogue, digital & microphone inputs with 6 outputs with selectable left, right or sum, each output has independent crossover points, gain, limiters, eq & parametric eq

Probably does other bits as well but I only use it for crossover & eq on bass in the car
Sounds good. Have you got a build thread anywhere?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Could well be having a re-shuffle with these Genesis amps :(

Tax bills coming and with buying the p99 I might be a tad short come Jan! (Had to have it though as they never come up for sale!) So I might be selling both amps and not just the one. The end goal is a full Sinfoni set up anyway with a couple Amplitude amps but that's later next year as they're around £500 a piece. So the Geny's would be sold anyway. Not the end of the world, worth it just to have the head unit.

I need something for the 8 channels (high/mid/low/subs) so have bought a proper old school 6 channel SQ amp! Awesome bit of kit from the 90's!!!

Denon DCA-800

Won loads of competitions back in the day, its a really good sought after amp. Not very powerful compared to modern offerings, not very pretty but an awesome amp and a bit rare. 6 channels down 2 to go!

I've still got this upstairs sat in a box that's done nothing the last 2 years!

Alpine V12 MRV-t300 (again a cracking little amp from the 90's!)

The plan was to use this alongside the Denon and job done.

Then went looking for a cheap amp for SWMBO's car for Xmas as I'm upgrading her system as well, got the speakers, deadening and wiring kit just need an amp, knowing her she'll want a white amp to go with the white car and white ****e headunit! No matter what the brand is "as long as its white"

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Re: 9-3ss 4 way active SQ build

Quick look on ebay and this is the first I found, so bought it.

Caliber CA180 Competition amp

Never really paid much interest in Caliber stuff. Always thought they were a cheapy cheap brand so just dismissed them as crap....doesn't look anything tasty either, looks a bit cheap/bargain basement tbh. But after a bit of googling these are meant to be awesome!!! Again it's an old 90's amp, a lot of the established audio guys really rate them highly.
.........so I'm having it for the Saab :thumbsup:

Knowing her she won't want the alpine because it's the wrong colour (didn't even want a Genesis Profile amp as it's not white) :roll: so I've had to buy another amp for her.

£11 later! Got another little gem!

Caliber CA70 Competition amp

Should do nicely, and the bonus is if she still doesn't want it....guess where it's going ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Re: 9-3ss 4 way active SQ build

Small but important update!

3 1/2 weeks off and I just get one day with no rain for 6/7 hours to get a few jobs done!

The old DEH-80PRS is out, new DEX-p99RS is in and working! Menu system is similar to the old one, just inputs differently as there's the extra knob. Definitely feels like a nice high end head unit though! Awesome! Just need to sort something for the sides now and hide the gaps.

Finally figured out how to get the faceplate off and it drops automatically each time the cars switched off to be removed. Bonus here is it doesn't foul the ash tray like to old one so I can change CD's!

Basically had to wait until I had a few hours sunshine to get the seats & carpets back out to run new wires! The old unit just needed 3 RCA's this uses 4 (high/mid/low/subs) plus I had to run an extra couple speaker wires for the 3 way front end (top tip for next car....run the extra wires first time round) :rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 71 Posts