Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first time poster. I have been looking into the 9-3 range recently as I currently drive 530d touring and I cannot believe the value for money. I have two models in mind, the TTid or the 2.8t. I'm fully aware of the running cost difference however i'm looking for something interesting and quick to pull the family around in. I have owned several high powered cars in the past including RS4 and m3 400bhp and i'm aware that the 2.8t wont be in there power range but there are a couple of questions I have. firstly i'm looking at a 2.8t v6 with upgrade to 276bhp estate with sports exhaust. the car has done about 77k miles. does that upgrade cause any extra stress on the engine and it you bought it wat would you get done first. secondly are all the 2.8t 4 wheel drive and if not is the 4 wheel drive worth it. and finally is there much difference in the vector sport and aero with regards to the ttid. thanks tom

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
Welcome to SS,

If you're after something quick then of course the 2.8T will do the job but if you want something that's quick yet unique look for either a 9-3 Turbo X which is a 2.8T 4WD and they only made 500 I think for the world all are in black, fully loaded with bose etc and they do look the bolox or you have the Carlsson edition which I belive is only in white and very limited numbers again fully loaded and a 2.8T 4WD.

Aero has a nicer trim on the outside, inside pretty much identical.

2.8T are all 2WD only the above and the 2.8T XWD has 4WD it depends if you intend on making the most out of the power and if you intend on adding future performance upgrades - the 2.8T's can be mapped to 300BHP without any work and considerably more with 3" down pipe, sports cat, air intake, and the map to support such that should see you to about 350BHP then upgraded turbo, injectors, etc will see you to 400BHP+ but it depends on what you want if you want something fast then 2.8T.

If you want something practical 1.9TTID - 180BHP standard and with map and DPF removal can see you to 230+.

·
Registered
587 Posts
There is also the left field option of the TTID in 4WD (the 9-3X), the looks are somewhat SUV crossover, but as a pratical people mover with the AWD, mapped to 230+ would be an option? The haldex system does possibly need some attention on the rear diff over its lifetime...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. I saw this and this is what got me interested. I was actually looking at a saloon ttid on an 08 plate and beyond to replace the beemer. but this looked interesting what are your thoughts? http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...5dr-doctor-owned-performance-upgrades/1444107 otherwise there is this but its a little more. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201303045604670/usedcars?logcode=visc which would you say would be best value for money & or give me the biggest problems?

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
Now you're talking the Turbo X :D, either way both are very nice cars.

Ones XWD the other isn't, the older one does have a lot of nice aditions that are not of the standard spec - well they have been factory upgraded - Hirsh dash - £500+, Hirsch pedals - £300+, Hirsch exhausts - £1000+, 18" wheels £1000+, the huge hirsch brake kit £2000+ they is very well spec'd out and very unique yet so is the Turbo X it's up to you how big is your wallet?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Standard Turbo X saloon with manual box hits 60mph in 5.4 secs with no mods :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now you're talking the Turbo X :D, either way both are very nice cars.

Ones XWD the other isn't, the older one does have a lot of nice aditions that are not of the standard spec - well they have been factory upgraded - Hirsh dash - £500+, Hirsch pedals - £300+, Hirsch exhausts - £1000+, 18" wheels £1000+, the huge hirsch brake kit £2000+ they is very well spec'd out and very unique yet so is the Turbo X it's up to you how big is your wallet?
Not very big at the moment. Are all those extras you mentioned upgrade on that £6k car?? I was also thinking the interior looks more dated than the X

·
Registered
313 Posts
If it were me and my wallet could afford it, the Turbo X any day over any of them!! But i can't afford the running costs so i own a TTID. I can tell you though it doesn't hang around. The MapTun upgrade to 210bhp does make a difference too. The torque more or less matches the Turbo X, just a shame the horses don't.

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
hirsch is dealer fit not factory fit deano,plus if your into your audio,give the aero a miss as you can't upgrade the h/u where as in the Turbo X you can..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I see what I get for the beemer and you never know but the ttid is a contender seen a vector sport with 100k for 6k

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you're going to go the TTID route, go for an Aero. They came as standard with twin exhaust. There are a few Vectors floating around with the twins but are rare. I just feel the car has a better finish having twin exhaust tips showing at the back. If you're happy enough with how it looks without then go for the Vector. The TTID is a superb engine.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
just to add my bit lol although i do like the thought of the v6 but worry about my wallet with fuel and the extra rfl lol. so for me it would be the b207r with remap out of the 2 but the ttid give great torque and very free reving for a dieslel from low dow revs all the way to the redline and is a good contender............dpf removal egr delete remap even better

below a quote taken from http://www.carscoops.com/2007/06/2008-saab-9-3-its-official-280hp-awd.html

New 1.9 TTiD engineThe 9-3 range features a powerful new four cylinder diesel engine with a unique two-stage turbocharging system, a world ‘first’ in the premium car segment, giving class-leading levels of efficiency. The 1.9-liter, 16-valve engine, badged TTiD, produces 180 hp (132 kW) and 400 Nm of maximum torque, specific power outputs that are unmatched among competitor products on the market. With combined fuel consumption of 5.9 l/100k projected for the Sport Sedan, this engine also offers class-leading economy, together with in-gear performance on a par with the 2.8V6 turbo gasoline engine.The two-stage turbocharger housing is integrated with the exhaust manifold and contains two turbochargers of different sizes. The pair of turbine/compressor wheels are sequentially mounted and each is able to by-pass the input and output feeds of the other, while also being able to operate in tandem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the help guys. I'm thinking the TTid route. It maybe an estate though however due to the family etc. I really like the looks of the saloon so if the boot is big enough I'll go that route. I have seen one with 82k miles on it. anyone got a link to the dpf removal and chipping? Also why do I have to remove the DPF?

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
@82k - if it is a manual you need to know about the DMF - the flywheel in effect, they go bad after a while and replacement is the only option. do a search on here to find out more.

remapping a car with 82k on it will probably mean replacing the flywheel and clutch at the same time, i would also look at uprating the shocks and springs. :) check the service history - should have had a cambelt change at 70(?)k and the warterpump done at the same time, if not done then factor this is as an immediate job and allow £300-350 to get it done/knocked off of the selling price.

springs are prone to snapping. Make sure you are not getting yourself into a car that is just coming up for a lot of work (money to be spent) needing to be done on it.

the 3l BMW diesel engine is a jewel and you will notice a lack of refinement in comparison.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@82k - if it is a manual you need to know about the DMF - the flywheel in effect, they go bad after a while and replacement is the only option. do a search on here to find out more.

remapping a car with 82k on it will probably mean replacing the flywheel and clutch at the same time, i would also look at uprating the shocks and springs. :) check the service history - should have had a cambelt change at 70(?)k and the warterpump done at the same time, if not done then factor this is as an immediate job and allow £300-350 to get it done/knocked off of the selling price.

springs are prone to snapping. Make sure you are not getting yourself into a car that is just coming up for a lot of work (money to be spent) needing to be done on it.

the 3l BMW diesel engine is a jewel and you will notice a lack of refinement in comparison.
thanks mate very helpful, when you say lack of refinement do you mean build quality? How would I tell with regards to the flywheel, clutch and the S and S?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.