Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want general info about performance parts. I have a stock 2002 9-3. If I decided to get a new dump valve, would it be best to fit the atmospheric or recirculating valve? Also If I got the dump valve, the stainless steel delivery pipe and teh bigger air intake pipe, howmuch power gain am I looking at with no ECM mods? I looked at all of this on the abbot racing site but they give all their figures with a modified ECM.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by drioux15:
[qb]Also If I got the dump valve, the stainless steel delivery pipe and teh bigger air intake pipe, howmuch power gain am I looking at with no ECM mods?[/qb][/b]
Very little. The dump valve will give you zero power increase unless your existing dump valve is leaking, in which case a new standard one will do the same job at a fraction of the price.

By far the cheapest way to lots more power would be a tuned ECU with no other mods. Anything else is very poor value for money in comparison.

How much power does a standard Canadian-spec 9-3 develop?

·
Registered
47 Posts
To be honest, can't see a dump valve & delivery pipe making any noticable difference & you'll only get a small increase in power from an Induction kit(10 bhp max).

I think It's only worth doing these mods If you get an ECU upgrade, only then will they be effective.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For 2002, since it was the last year for the 9-3 hatch, they only made the se model wich is the same as the AERO model in the uk. It has the Hight Output Turbo in it develloping 205hp. I read on the abbot racing site that an atmospheric dump valve will give on demand acceleration due to quicker spoolup time of the turbo hence less turbo lag.
True? or False.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can only use an atmospheric dumpvalve( blow off valve) on an trionic 5, for the trionic 7 you must use a bypass valve.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bypass valve? This the same as a recirculating ?? These are suposed to give more acurate throttle response right? No extra hp I know, but less turbo lag?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I didn't notice any difference in responsiveness on my 305bhp 9000 Aero when I changed the standard valve for a Forge valve. there may indeed be one but it wasn't noticeable. I wouldn't believe everything that's written on the Abbott Racing site
I certainly wouldn't say any small increase in responsiveness would be worth the asking price for the valve. All these things are at the far end of the law of diminishing returns. The near end, giving the best return for money spent, is an ECU upgrade. If you want to do something worthwhile and don't want a new ECU, fit a performance downpipe with, optionally, exhaust and cat.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks... That pretymuch answers my questions. I wasn't shure if what they said on that site was actualy true or just a way to sell the darn thing. Had to check!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 9-3 Saab and I love it. I would like to tint my windows and have flashers on the side view mirrors and a Panasonic Toughbook CF-27, which includes Mobile Transmission inside the vehicle for CAD, GPRS, which I think MAY be compatible with the OnStar system, but I don't want to play around with that.

AN, Toronto, Ontario

1 - 9 of 9 Posts