Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Saab 9-3 ttid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started getting a weird rattle in idle and a metallic grinding noise on slight pressure of the clutch pedal. Noise dissappear when clutch fully depressed.

Tbh, I 1st heard the clutch pedal noise about 2y ago and it's not changed much, if any. Car still drives great.

After watching many videos and reading a ton of websites, I've convince myself the flywheel is going.

Everyone agree? Has anyone done a write up on a Clutch replacement for the 1.9 ttid (180)?

Filling my ebY basket with new tools and a luk clutch/flywheel kit - I'm not happy handing over £1050 as quoted by garage when I can spend less and get myself some new tools in the process. . But a wee bit nervous Bout the job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds more like the throwout bearing to me but you could get lucky and have a Broken clutch linkage tension spring under the dash. Check clutch linkage for snapping back and play. If it is the bearing just drive it for a while because you have to basically do the same labor to replace the whole clutch to get to the bearing.

·
Registered
Saab 9-3 ttid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the raspy noise on slight pressure of the clutch pedal is likely the throwout bearing but from what I read the rattle/clattering noise in neutral is likely to be failing dmf (I've heard similar noises in videos). As such I've decided to do the whole clutch, dmf and slave cylinder.

I will check if I can see any problem with the clutch linkage spring though before I start all that. Thanks for the suggestion. My wife will be p*ssed if it is because I've already bought tools and parts to do the clutch and some of the bushes whilst the subframe is out!

·
Registered
Saab 9-3 ttid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after about 20 or so hrs on my back on tarmac (mainly due to a handful of rounded and snapped bolts) the clutch is changed... I've still got to refill the gearbox, battery and attach the sneering knuckles (waiting on new pinch bolts due to one snapping on refitting) and do the (scary) 1st start, but I'm fairly confident it will be OK 🤞.

I was surprised, and a little passed, to find the clutch plate was only about half worn. However, the flywheel did have way too much play, and the csc bearings were a little grundy.. not much though.

Ah well, so long as I've fitted it all back together OK, should be good for another 70000 or so!

Pig of a job without a garage to work in though. Little bit heavier work in the ttid due to having to leave the EHSP rack on the subframe, resulting in a bit of careful squeezing out and back in due to the small clearances whilst on axle stands. Could have also been easier with a 2nd trolley jack.

Possible further update if it all goes bang when engine started!

·
Registered
Saab 9-3 ttid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P.s. New anti roll bar bushes, power flex torsion bar inserts and sub frame painted whilst the subframe was out. Will see what, if any, difference they make. I have a spare rear lower mount (position 21) powerflex insert for sale if anyone is interested. The company sent me an extra one, bonus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts