Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone possibly help?

The car is an 06 vector and about Christmas time it lost a little power on the motorway but was still driveable but would only do about 50 on a motorway incline. The code suggested a MAF sensor, so this was replaced and all seemed OK for a bit, then the problem returned on a long journey eventually the car would do no more than about 40 on the motorway but was producing tons of black smoke and making a noise when the throttle was depressed. There was a split on the pipe from the exhaust manifold to EGR, this was replaced but still there is no power and lots of smoke, the car will barely move now without stalling and if I can get it to move it sorts of cuts out as you drive, but taking the foot of the accelerator removes the cut out sensation. I have also cleaned the sensor on the back of the inlet manifold.
Does anyone one have a clue what could be wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi
Just seen your post about poor engine performance.
You obviously have a fuel problem and I think the first thing to check would be the lambda sensor in the exhaust. Can you check short and long term fuel trim using your scanner? Where abouts in the country are you ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check for a blocked DPF. I was getting a MAF error and it turned out to be the DPF was full. I removed it back flushed it with a pressure washer (take it easy with the force you use) and it's fine now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh the other favourite on this engine is a split in the intercooler which causes too much air to be taken in so ecm tries to add more fuel. Blocked dpf is a result and lots of black smoke. Fix the split and force regen the dpf.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys,

At present there are no fault codes reading on the car using the reader, how do I check the trim? I am in South Wales.

It is odd, the car will rev to 4000 and no more, then all of a sudden it will rev to 5000, however there is still no power at all regardless, the turbo pipe to the throttle body becomes firm when revved, you can see it flex.

Where is the DPF?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe it’s about where the gear stick is. The forward part is the CAT and the rear half is the DPF all within one unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The dpf is directly under the front seats UNDER the car (part of the exhaust). The cat is seperate from the dpf and is the large cylindrical shaped unit at the front of the engine following from the exhaust manifold. To check fuel trims you would need a fairly decent scan tool (not a code reader). Apart from the split intercooler (very common) it might be worth checking egr valve is not stuck and also that the swirl flaps are moving; you can see the connecting rod move if you look from above the rear of the engine at the inlet manifold. I have known the cat to collapse internally
and then clearly the engine cant breath as the exhaust is effectively blocked.
If the pipe is becomming very stiff then that sounds like a blockage somewhere.
One thing you can try if you are getting desperate is to run the car briefly with the exhaust manifold joint loosened. It will be unbelievably noisy but at least you can confirm if any part of the exhaust is blocked. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
What kind of code reader are you using ?
If you can get of opcom available on eBay then try some live data readouts.
You may not even have a DPF I think 2008 onwards they became mandatory.
Good way to check is on the passenger side lower B pillar ( open the passenger front door and look down low ) there's a black data badge in one of the top corners there's a box with a value inside of it
If it's anything below 1.0 then it has a DPF anything above 1.0 then no DPF both mine have 1.2 so no DPF .
Black smoke denotes over fuelling .
So either a split intercooler hose ( ECU registeres there's not enough fuel for complete combustion so injects more )
Injectors worn or dirty .
Failing MAF unit ( if a aftermarket one that could be the issue )
Swirl flap bar come loose ( only if 150 BHP )
I would first invest in something like opcom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts