Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have a 2001 9-3 hot aero convertible that is needing the shock absorbers replaced. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether to go for some kind of upgrade to stiffen and lower the ride height.

I had that same car as a hatch back a while ago and it did have stiffer shocks (fitted by the previous owner) and the ride was quite harsh.

If you think an upgrade would be beneficial, do you have any suggested brands.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all.

I have a 2001 9-3 hot aero convertible that is needing the shock absorbers replaced. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether to go for some kind of upgrade to stiffen and lower the ride height.

I had that same car as a hatch back a while ago and it did have stiffer shocks (fitted by the previous owner) and the ride was quite harsh.

Cheers
A suspension upgrade would definitely be beneficial! Performance orientated dampers and springs would help keep the weight distribution under control when cornering/braking/accelerating. There are also externally adjustable options available if the ride is too harsh.

Koni are a well known brand, and are available at most tuning companies such as Abbott Racing Saab. However I wouldn't suggest any cheap alternatives on websites such as Ebay, as you will probably regret it! You definitely get what you pay for.

Mason at TDI-Tuning

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A suspension upgrade would definitely be beneficial! Performance orientated dampers and springs would help keep the weight distribution under control when cornering/braking/accelerating. There are also externally adjustable options available if the ride is too harsh.

Koni are a well known brand, and are available at most tuning companies such as Abbott Racing Saab. However I wouldn't suggest any cheap alternatives on websites such as Ebay, as you will probably regret it! You definitely get what you pay for.

Mason at TDI-Tuning
As I thought. I think my old car must have been a cheap upgrade as the ride was awful.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Buzz33,
Replaced stock springs and shocks on my 2001 9-3SE 4DR with Koni shocks and stiffer springs from Abbott Racing several years ago and wish I had done it much earlier. Great ride and cornering much improved.
Best Wishes,
Bobby Toledo

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Konis are more expensive than the Bilsteins but that's the route I'd take for the convertible.
They also tend to be a bit more compliant, which is good for cars with the top removed.
If it were a regular hard-top, I'd have gone with the Bilsteins.
If you do decide to go Konis keep your stock springs (if they're in good condition).
Many lowered springs tend to 'bottom' with Konis over very large potholes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts