21 - 40 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: Saab 900/93 Bulkhead separation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hello there
You may get some funny sounding creaks from the front suspension on speed bumps, when you have not driven too far.
This has always happened with my car but disappears after a few miles. In fact it sounds more plasticky than metal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm - I know what you mean, especially bad when very cold; however although the noise is muted when things have warmed up, it's still there. I've asked the garage to check all bushes etc & it's come back clean. I may push them again as I need to get it back in for a new seat belt roller.

Know what you mean about the lazy pull-away, most enjoyable :) This is my first auto box - can see myself staying. I'm generally very pleased with the car - certainly good value when stacked up against BMW. Admittedly there are areas where they're not quite as tight, but what to expect?!

Cheers :)

[/ QUOTE ]

My preferred route to the trunk route is through Shoreham airport which has about 20 or so speed bumps around the perimeter road. By the time I reach the A27 the noise has disappeared. To my mind this does not constitute a significant problem and I'm prepared to accept it as such; it has been there since the car was new.
On the subject of the auto box I reckon these, and a great deal of other cars, are ideally suited to one. Mine is rarely caught out, adapts swiftly to different conditions, and most importantly allows me to concentrate on driving.
If it were a sports car(I have an MX5 in my sights) then the matter could be different.
A tad of advice is to make full use of the 'sport' button. It livens thing up a great deal and provides more enjoyment.
Saab engines have never been 'balls out' engineered, more let the torque pull you along; a bit like a wound up rubber band. Thus, they can be driven in a lazy but satisfying manner, almost like a turbo diesel a type of engine I very much enjoy using.
All the best to all

·
Registered
15 Posts

Apparently the creaking noise when cold can be sorted by lubricating the bushes and esp. the ARB bushes. Its probably not worth bothering as in order to lube these bushes you need to drop the subframe and raise the engine to get the ARB off. I can live with the creaks as they dissapear after 100yds or so but if I need to get to the ARB for a more major reason I'll lube em then.

Its been asked before but does anyone actually know where to look for symptoms of bulkhead seperation?

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have been a long time lurker and having seen this thread I thought I would post the pictures I have. My NG900 had this problem, I was first alerted to it by strange creaking noises when cornering and after getting someone to shake the steering wheel I noticed movement behind where the brake servo is mounted it is very difficult to see but I could just make out what appeared to be a seemed joint moving. I then proceded to remove the engine/gearbox and dash assembly to rectify the problem. I did post these photos on saabcentral a long time ago but here they are for this forum

Matt

My Gallery

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have attached a photo directly to this forum-If you look at the red circles,the seemed joint is the one that splits as it is only spot welded but mine also had a crack

Matt

More Pictures of Repair

·
Registered
464 Posts

Thanks for posting that Matt, have 5 stars on me. Did you ask Saab if they would put the damage right?
kind regards
Nick

·
Registered
6 Posts

Nick thanks for the five stars, I did take it to my local dealer as after discovering the flexing I found out that it was a known problem.The dealer was going to submit a post warranty request, but he spotted a chip/paint flaking on the n/s suspension turret and questioned whether it had been in an accident and been repaired and this could have caused the flexing. I had just bought the vehicle and was the seventh owner. I contacted my insurance company to see if they could tell the what accidents the car had been in.But due to data protection they could/would not tell me. The car was an ex saab leasing car and even contacted them but they were no help. So in the end I bit the bullet and repaired it myself. Incidently one of my colleagues had the same problem on his NG900 and saab did offer a 50% contribution.
Sorry for the long post

Matt

·
Registered
854 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I contacted my insurance company to see if they could tell the what accidents the car had been in.But due to data protection they could/would not tell me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's [expletive deleted]. You've been fobbed off. You wanted to know if it had been involved in any accidents, not the names and addresses of the owners (which Data Protection would cover). How on earth does the insurance company think that the HPI checks for previous accidents works, then

·
Registered
464 Posts

Matt

that's not a long post, you should see some of mine

The more we know collectively about this problem, the better.
I take it the pictures you submitted are in the engine bay, not inside the car?
And you say you diagnosed it by having someone wiggle the steering wheel and watching the servo move - how much did it move?

Many thanks again for putting in the effort to give us the benefit of your experience

Nick

·
Registered
6 Posts

Yes the photos are taken from the engine bay once the engine was out and steering rack removed. It is a bu66er to see, but on the photo I posted you can make out the O/S rack mount and above that you can see the bottom hole for the servo (in fact that is why the paint is missing on that mount due to careless topping up of brake fluid). With a torch I could see that seemed joint 'opening' upwhen the steering was rocked side to side.

Matt

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thought you might be interested to know...I took my car in for a clutch change recently and the mechanic casualy asked me if i was interested in getting my bulkhead strengthened at no cost as there was a recall on all 9-3's! I wasn't even aware of any problems.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Hello Gaznod

so the garage (is the garage a dealer?) offered to strengthen it for free ?! Did they mention whether or not Saab were financing the operation?

I just rang my dealer, Bell & Colville, nice people and a long standing dealer, they said there had been no recall but they had been sent documentation on the issue by Saab??
My car is going to see them on Saturday morning as I'm not sure if it's the 4 new recently fitted Pirelli P Zeros tramlining that are making the car feel strange or if something has just come adrift in the chassis...watch this space

·
Registered
68 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Hello Gaznod

so the garage (is the garage a dealer?) offered to strengthen it for free ?! Did they mention whether or not Saab were financing the operation?

I just rang my dealer, Bell & Colville, nice people and a long standing dealer, they said there had been no recall but they had been sent documentation on the issue by Saab??
My car is going to see them on Saturday morning as I'm not sure if it's the 4 new recently fitted Pirelli P Zeros tramlining that are making the car feel strange or if something has just come adrift in the chassis...watch this space

[/ QUOTE ]

Muggins will be very interested to find out the results as well. The 9-3's handling never really inspires that much confidence in any case. My own occasionally throws in the odd wobbly. There is a decent bend on the A23 at Handcross, one of the few left on this road, that throws the car every time. The old 900 8v turbo could whizz through without any problem at all. The 9-3 just never seems to do the same thing twice.
I reckon Saab should do the decent thing and recall the lot unless they end up with another Lancia type performance on their hands.
The other side of the coin is that Saabs are selling well, to new customers. Perhaps the loyalty factor is no longer relevant to the company now it is truly a mass manufacturer; us old fuddy duddies are history perhaps?
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
464 Posts

Agreed that they should do the right thing, also that they are selling sufficient new cars not to worry about their old customers. Will they DO the right thing though? From my (and others') experience it seems the answer must be no

My car went to Bell & Colville the reputable dealer near me. I rang and mentioned that I wanted it checked, since I had been experiencing some anomalies that did admittedly coincide with fitting new P Zeros all round.

When I got there I was confronted initially by a woman whose attitude was akin to that of a bulldog chewing a wasp telling me I had to pay to even have it checked. I informed her that this was a known fault and I was not informed that I would have to pay when I rang and that I only wanted it checked. I then spoke to one of their chief technicians who was very helpful and knew what he was talking about - he checked it and said that there was a tiny amount of movement (I could not see anything) but nothing to worry about - he had seen the proper failures and thankfully mine was not one of them. His verdict was that the more rigid sidewalls of the new tyres were the cause of the strange symptoms I was experiencing.

It is an eye opener though to know that the car was built with this fault - It is very disappointing to know that Saab have such a dismissive attitude to this design flaw

Nicko

·
Registered
59 Posts

Hi,

Just come from the Main Dealer for a service. Asked them to check steering as there was a creaking noise coming from the column. Initially they said that there was nothing wrong with it but when I went to collect it, there was a note on the service form that the Bulkhead was cracked.

Like most of the other posts in this thread, the service manager said that this was not uncommon and that there was a 'kit' to fix the problem. I have left them to contact Saab about paying for the fix (he advised that this should not be a problem). I will keep you all informed.

BTW car is a 2001 93t SE (150BHP)

·
Registered
59 Posts

Hi,

Its April 1st and I've just had a call from Squire Furneaux Saab informing me that Saab have agreed to pay for the entire Bulkhead repair (and no it is not an April Fool!) no arguing no nothing . Am booking it in as we speak.

Guess they do have some sort of customer satisfaction charter after all!

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
45 Posts

Ravey Glad to hear you have got joy without a fight.

Out of interest how many miles have you covered and do you drive her hard (the car )

·
Registered
59 Posts

Hi Jagger,

Have covered 56500 miles and although the car is not modded, I get the most I can out of her (meaning, yes, I do drive her quite hard)! Given the relative clean bill of health (apart from the BH crack) at the recent service, an upgrade is now on the cards

·
Registered
464 Posts

Ravey

well done you
I wasn't impressed with Bell & Colville's dogmatic response to me when I presented them with mine, luckily it's ok

Nicko

·
Registered
45 Posts

Ya but Nicko don't you find it of concern that yours could be one of the unlucky (few?) in the future - I certainly do.

Ravey's has been more fortuneate than some with getting it solved without any problem. But his car is only a babe which has just been run in!

21 - 40 of 332 Posts