Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2004 car last November with just over 90K miles. Just before Xmas I brimmed the tank for the first time and set off from the filling station with the gauge reading full. A mile or so up the road I noticed the fuel low light come on and the gauge reading empty whereupon it stayed for the rest of the journey.
Later in the journey I was sat in the car, engine running and it seemed to faulter on tickover and the engine warning light came on.
The fuel gauge seems to now have a life of its own and always reads the correct level on start up but then falls to empty or bounces up and down, even reading full last week for a few minutes.
The engine warning light will go off after disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery and stay off for a few days or even on a longer journey but then will come the inevitable faulter in tickover which causes it to illuminate again.
Generally the engine idle does seem a bit lumpy at times but the engine performs well.
I have read that a poorly fitting fuel filler cap can cause the fuel gauge problem but mine appears to be ok and probably the original item.
Does anybody know if the fuel gauge issue can bring on the engine light?
Also read that these engines need NGK plugs only and I havnt checked what mine are but could this be linked to the faults?

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
welcome to ss..the gauge will be a faulty sender,you'll need to get the code/s read to pinpoint the problem with the eml..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Aerojon yes i have heard that the sender units can be faulty. How difficult a job is it to replace it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was the timing chain making the engine run lumpy. Had it replaced and its a sweet as a nut now.
Still got the engine light on but thats probably due to the faulty fuel gauge which is my next job to sort out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts