Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

9-3 cabrio auto box

Tags
box cabrio
2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  the zohan 
#1 ·
This will probably have been asked before, but I would like help with it.
My 9-3 autobox has a strange habit when you change gear, such as from reverse to drive when you leave the path. The indicator light that shows the position of the gearbox on the instrument panel goes out, and the car then tries to move off in 4th. Sometimes, but only sometimes, this is accompanied by a warning light of a gear with an exclamation mark inside it, and most of the time, stopping the engine and restarting restores the position light, but does not extinguish the gear wheel. The car then reverts to changing gear as it should, ad the warning then goes out when the car is left standing.
I have read that the "fault" is a bad connection between a switch on the top of the gearbox and the rest of the vehicle. The absence of any other form of bad behaviour makes this sound highly plausible, so my questions are: Does this seem likely? What is the switch called? Can they be bought either new or used? There are a number of wires coming out of this little box, which appears to be the switch. Does anyone know what else they do, beyond telling the dash what gear you are in?
Sorry to go on a bit, but it takes a bit of explaining.
Regards
Alan Partington

#2 ·
Which model/year and gearbox do you have?

In general terms you can have a gear selector with mechanical connection to a selector switch on top of the gearbox which physically moves around and also electrical connections to the transmission control module (TCM)

The gearwheel warning light indicates that the car has registered a transmission fault and set the car in 4th gear for safety reasons -also called limp mode.

To know more you really need the code and as its a transmission fault its likely you will need Tech2 as I dont think a cheap OBD2 reader will see it.

#3 ·
Gearbox has its own ecu called a TCU (i think) might be worth disconnecting the battery for 15 mins to reset it.

If its done 90k or 9/10 years the gearbox oil needs changing on a european car. difficult to check the level unless you are an octopus or happen to own a set of ramps as access is from underneath. i would get the oildones asap. ecp have a 30% off sale on atm, i bought mine from them last time. used a better spec oil but obviously compatible. it is very specific as to what type!

#4 ·
Oddly enough, the previous owner , who only had the car for a couple of months, because his wife refused point blank to get into it, actually changed the fluid in the autobox, so it is nice and clean. The car has only done 61500 miles in 16 years (I now realise that this post is in the wrong place, but being a dummy, only looked at 9-3, not the years).
Thanks
Alan

#6 ·
The neutral position safety switch or gear selection switch on top of the gearbox does wear and is easily replaced.
Normally when these start to fail you will be unable to start the car as the car will think its in gear when you think it is neutral.
eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-9-3-...632115?hash=item568e8a8cb3:g:LjwAAOSwNRdX-4Vy
However the fact you are getting the transmission fault light (gear wheel) I suspect the fault may lie elsewhere as the TCM and wiring can also give issues.

You really need the code as its guess work other wise.

#7 ·
ahh i read it as a 2003+ car, my advice re gearbox ecu (TCM) unlikely to be relevant. hate to say it but chances are sold on quickly due to fault... if it has an obd port (it should have) get the codes read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.