Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. Newbie Here. 99 Se Convt. Yellow. No brake lights. Has Parking lights, Reverse, and Rear Fog. Checked All fuses, and rear bulbs. Replaced new brake toggle switch under dash, Still No brake lights. Any help would be Awesome.
P.S. Sometimes flip the Cruise switch and it will light up on dash and will work fine, but sometimes flip the switch and no light on dash and it will not work?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Welcome to SSc, yellowsaab

If cruise is working fine, then the brake sensor switch that you have fitted must be functioning correctly as from what I recall the cruise control will not operate until the brake pedal has been pressed. This is because the cruise control function must be cut if the brake pedal (and/or the clutch pedal in the case of manual vehicles) is pressed.

You say you have replaced/checked bulbs and fuses - so that rules that out.

You are going to have three brake lights. One each side and one in the middle (high level brake light). Does the high level brake light work or are all three out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey John. Thank you for responding. All three lights are not working. No Brake lights what so ever. Checked Fuses and bulbs. Any thoughts?
Thought it would be the Brake switch, so replaced that with a new one. Didn't solve the problem. What other parts handle the rear brake lights? Any help would be great! Thank you, Charlie.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It could be the TWICE module has failed. The brake light switch is an input to the module (under the drivers seat). This then sends separate power to the individual lights.

Do you get the "TEST BRAKE LIGHTS" message on the SID, and does it go away when you depress the brake pedal? - if this is working, then the brake switch is OK and the TWICE input is working.

If not, check you are getting 12V on pin 48 (Violet wire) at the TWICE module connector - (depressing the brake switch)

TWICE module is under one of the front seats.

Antony.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! SaabScene Forum!! Especially Antony and John. After following the advice here on Saabscene. The Problem is Fixed!!. Ok, So to Reiterate, Checked all bulbs, Checked All Fuses, Replaced brake light switch under dash. Still no brake lights. So,
The step that ended up working was. Remove the drivers seat, unplug the TWICE Modual, take it apart, clean the circut board with electronic cleaner, let it sit overnight to dry out, put it back together, plug everything back in. and WOW! it worked! So it is all set. Did this work on Monday and everything is working still. Awesome! Thank you again. Charlie.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Although I had no input into solving this problem, I'd like to say two things:

1. Isn't it great to have such good help given freely, and

2. Isn't it also great when the recipient gives feedback - on other forums (and maybe on here too, occasionally) so often you never know whether what has been suggested has worked, as there's no response given.

So a pat on the back for all concerned!

Malcolm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1999 Saab 9.3.
My rear break lights are not working. It keeps saying "test breaks" and I have replaced everything. Any help??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts