Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Re: 09 9-3 stopped blowing chilled air

have you left the link in from earlier ? if so and you want to use aircon in mean time as a tempory measure I would fit a fused link

keep us posted on outcome tomorrow;)

·
SaabScene.com Premium Member
1,136 Posts

It's people like Kez that keep this forum alive - nice job mukka!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Took the link out Kez after the test, and only used the "thinist of thin wire" it actually came out of a computer mouse :) it wouldnt have taken any load.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Update @ new relay didn't do the job Kez
This may well turn out to be the definitive
Aircon thread ! I didn't check with the meter
But I suppose we have proved that would have
Proved it wouldn't work with the new relay
Next step Kez ?

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts

ok you need to see what voltage you are getting between terminals 85 & 86 of the relay base..............with multimeter set to dc 12v put one probe in 85 and one in 86 have the car running temp set to cold auto on know switch the aircon of button to on off (does this button light when you press to off).....................let me know the voltage if any

then probe 86 with the red lead of the multimeter and put the black probe on the battery earth..............what voltage do you get ??

then set multimeter to continuity so that it buzzes when both probes are touched together (depending on multimeter you have you may have to move the red probe from the multimeter and put it in where it says 10A)...............once you have done this put one probe into 85 and the other to battery earth does it buzz? when you toggle aircon on/off button

do this first then we can go on from here in meen time will get wiring diagram out .............suspect you have lost the switch wire to the coil tbh

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts

just realised you got vert oh well not to worry lol just one more switching device to look at :)

now you know why aircon man did a runner he is prob good at faultfinding basics on the aircon side but when it comes to vehicle electrical side he prob didn't have a clue lol

·
Registered
88 Posts

Sorry to hear this.

After owning a car without aircon prior to my TTid I think the aircon is fantastic in my Saab....

Love it

·
Administrator
5,106 Posts

is the outside temp display showing the right temp..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Outside temp is correct yes, I will print your instructions, and reply after work tomorrow Kez.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

just realised you got vert oh well not to worry lol just one more switching device to look at :)

now you know why aircon man did a runner he is prob good at faultfinding basics on the aircon side but when it comes to vehicle electrical side he prob didn't have a clue lol
Is the fact it's a Vert good.....or bad :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

with it being a vert its probably a bit more complicated, as with the roof down the air con automatically turns itself off, and then turns its self back on when you put the roof up etc so its just a bit more components that could get in the way of diagnosing air con faults

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts

as above yes a bit more complicated as it sends a signal down one of the CANbus lines but tbh I don't think your problem lies there as your roof is working I take it ..........and it receives a signal from a position sensor

it wont be the outside temp sensor as the ac is on anything above 0deg to help with demist etc

at this moment don't think you are going to get a reading from terminal 85 of the relay base tbh which is neg switch to the relay coil............another test in addition to continuity as previous mentioned is probe terminal 85 with multimeter set to dc volts and terminal 30 let me know the voltage you get aswell with engine on and ac set to cold and on auto

I may post up more later but wanted to get clarification of what readings you are getting with the tests ive said earlier,so to keep on the right track

if it is terminal 85 has no negative the next thing is to test the out put signal from the ecu which will clarify you have a break in the cable and signals to/from the ecu to the pressure switch (which may be faulty)..............so if you can bring the multimeter home with you would be good, don't panic lol these are easy tests as well..........its from here on it starts to get more complicated as you are entering the world of canbus lol, will be fixed before we get this far though fingers x

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Update @ Using fluke meter

Volts between 85 -86 10.36v ( cycling on/off light works) remains constant.

Volts between red lead, black to vehicle earth 13.95v both on and off.

85 to earth does not buzz on both.

85 to 30 .040v on, . 040 off that's a decimal point at the front so almost zero.

If it helps aircon on, lower hood aircon off light illuminates.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Update @ Using fluke meter

Volts between 85 -86 10.36v ( cycling on/off light works) remains constant.

Volts between red lead, black to vehicle earth 13.95v both on and off.

85 to earth does not buzz on both.

85 to 30 .040v on, . 040 off that's a decimal point at the front so almost zero.

If it helps aircon on, lower hood aircon off light illuminates.
Sorry line 2 should be 86 red, and black to battery neg.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts

ok so looks you got dodgy wire on 85 of the coil..............this is the wire that switches the relay
you have 12v on 86 which is correct + side of coil

ok so lets just confirm it is the wire faulty..............using a piece of wire (long enough to reach battery neg) put one end in 85 of the relay base push the relay back in so its as normal but with this piece of wire hanging out...............start the car temp set to low and on auto, know put the other end of the wire to battery neg does aircon start ??

will be back in a bit to post more just busy for a min ..............if you want to check this in the mean time

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts

did you bring multimeter home with you ?.......................next stage is to check continuity of wire, ecu output and pressure switch

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

did you bring multimeter home with you ?.......................next stage is to check continuity of wire, ecu output and pressure switch
It's mine mate just couldn't find the bugger :) I have the car outside flat so will continue in morning.
What you want me to do ?

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts

ok so looks you got dodgy wire on 85 of the coil..............this is the wire that switches the relay
you have 12v on 86 which is correct + side of coil

ok so lets just confirm it is the wire faulty..............using a piece of wire (long enough to reach battery neg) put one end in 85 of the relay base push the relay back in so its as normal but with this piece of wire hanging out...............start the car temp set to low and on auto, know put the other end of the wire to battery neg does aircon start ?

will be back in a bit to post more just busy for a min ..............if you want to check this in the mean time

this first...................will post more later tonight so you have in morning

pm sent

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts

Kez joins the queue of bankers, estate agents & tax collectors ........ ;) ........ Now we'll add on A/C tech's ;)

Could you recommend me a a/c installation (Ideally DIY...... I built my one house once bar the brickwork & plastering, so I'm pretty adept with a 10lb hammer) for just a bedroom ....... Nah I don't want a tumble dryer vented water fill up machine...... The system would ideally suck & blow in the same room (Kinda basic that oops) a fanny thing on the wall outside & somthing that will give me a pair of volt free contacts, so I can rig it up with the central heating.... Thus both of them don't start arguing with each other ....... Designed my own htg....... Its my poor old 80+ year old mother that has issues with breathing ...... A/C helps a lot ......... Shame its so dear to run tho....... Moan moan moan ;) ........ I can get you the cubic doofers of the room if you need em' Its south facing, we have cavity wall insulation & **** loads of fuzzy foam in the loft ....... Ohh & the windows are tinted too ........ Kind of a busy road out the front so Fekkin' great slow moving fans & 12" toobe is a bit of a issue (Road noise wise)

What says yoo ?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts