Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is an account of the mods I've made to my 2002 9-3 Aero, and the effect each mod has made to the car.
Imported the car new, direct from Sweden, saving 20% on UK price. The only extras I ordered were the heated front seats and the uprated 6 speaker stereo and 6 stack CD changer. Drove the car for a couple of months, and the torque steer and Tram lining were driving me crazy, so I opted for the Abbott Viggen Rescue Kit, and while I was at it, I got their ECU upgrade and an ITG air filter at the same time.
After mods were done, Torque steer was greatly reduced, but not completely gone. Tram lining was also reduced, but still quite noticeable on very uneven road surfaces. The increased power from the ECU upgrade was fantastic, but probably contributed some additional torque steer. Without it, I reckon the VRK would have cured the torque steer on the standard car. Not sure what difference the air filter made, with the ECU being uprated at the same time.
Ran like this for a year, before the poor traction of the stock tyres (Pirelli P6000's) finally got to me, and I changed them for a set of Bridgestone SO3 pole Positions's. The effect of the new tyres was as noticable as the VRK - Torque steer completely gone, and tram lining now only minimal.
Next upgrade was a set of 4 Black Diamond grooved brake discs with Predator Fast Road pad, and an Abbott uprated rear anti-roll bar. Brakes are fantastic, feel like I have 50% more stopping power, and they work from cold as well. Rear ARB made the car feel much more stable at high speed, and stopped the rear from "squirming" under hard braking, when you're not going in a straight line - you know what I mean, you've braked slightly for a fast sweeping bend, and it turns into a sharper bend than you thought half way round, and you have to come off the power and brake again. It also lets you put the power on that bit earlier when accelerating out of a corner - just feels more stable all round.
Last weekend I had a set of Eibach springs and a set of Koni adjustable shock absorbers fitted. Had to wait 6 weeks for the Koni's, as they're not a standard item for the Aero - it's a bit heavier that the standard 9-3, and the only make them to order. The tram lining has now completely gone, and the car just feels fantastic. The Eiback springs give a great ride, even around town - I reckon it's not as hash as the standard set up was, with the VRK poly bushes. The car just feels so stable at high speed on the motorway, and just goes round long sweeping bends like they're not there. Still have the Koni's set at their softest setting at the moment, as I thought I'd give the springs a couple of weeks to settle first (the front has dropped by 20mm, and the rear by 15mm at the moment). Even without the Koni's stiffened up, the real twisty bits are just a joy to drive through, and I'm looking for excuses to go out and drive the car.
That's probably all the mods for this year, but next year I plan on getting a full 3" exhaust and larger air intake, and possibly up-rated intercooler.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Neil

Sounds familiar although you have done more than me!

I imported my 02 93 aero convertable from Sweden and have loved the car to bits. It has the eibach spring and dampers, speedparts ECU and abbott back box.

I would go for more abbott mods although I am desperate to sell it (see classifieds please!!) and buy an 02/03 95 aero estate which I have set £5/6k aside for mods.

I am thinking abbott ecu upgrade this time around. Has it given you a kick in the back. The speedparts is great from 4,000 onwards although I would love the power to come in a bit quicker with more punch.

cheers

PS does anyone want a very well looked after aero that stands out from others !

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mushdaffer,
The Abbott ECU upgrade gives the extra grunt fairly low down the rev band, and runs out of
at 5500 revs. The time to change gear is between 4500 and 5000 revs to get the best from the power. I assume the ECU upgrade on the 95 Aero would have the same characteristics, but it's got so much more grunt to begin with, it may be different

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Neil M:
[qb]Last weekend I had a set of Eibach springs and a set of Koni adjustable shock absorbers fitted. Had to wait 6 weeks for the Koni's, as they're not a standard item for the Aero - it's a bit heavier that the standard 9-3, and the only make them to order.  [/qb][/b]
Hi Neil,

can you give me an estimate what is cost of the konis for aero/viggen? Where did you order these?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Vigge,
Koni only seem to do them in batches, and it would appear only for Abbott, I ordered through them. The cost was £390. I bought the Eibach springs seperately, they were only £180, which is £70 cheaper than the Abbott ones. I had Abbott springs and Koni shocks on my last car - 900 Turbo Coupe, and I can't tell the difference between the two makes of springs. Koni's are superb, and so easy to adjust when you want to stiffen them up - probably takes about 5 minutes to adjust all 4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts