Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My SID has said my battery is not charging, so i stuck the multimeter across it and im getting 11.5 volts.

When they go is it worth looking at the regulator / rectifier, or do people just do the whole thing.

I can see on autodoc they are around £120

The car has done about 90k.

And i have not replaced the alternator ever, had the car 10 years is.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
A

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks aero jon.

Just found the guide.

I think ill get the alternator out take a look at it the bits and then order them.

One thing of note the car smelt very hot the other day? any chance the cables from the alternator to the battery got melter.

Im assuming i would just read the voltage directly from the alternator to find this out?

Thanks
A

·
Administrator
5,086 Posts
you never said you had a diesel,denso alt is weak point on diesels might want to change it to a bosch unit..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Aerojon your right i didnt. You are a very much correct 1.9 150bhp

I'll get a new unit and swap them out. Given all the reports everyone has given. I think its a miracle i have 90K out of it.

thanks

A

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the diodes is definitely busted, but there is a lot of blackness on the windings. Is that an indication the generator is busted. I have to say I’m a little skint at the moment and I think coughing ton for a pattern alt would be ok, but I’m not sure I can do 250 for a Bosch. Any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks aerojon, I found a chap on ebay in Lancashire who is selling rectifiers for £15. so i think its worth a punt, .

Hopefully, my small soldering iron has enough heat to melt the solder points.

I have to say get the alternator out was tight! I think Saab use a whole host of things to attach them. I need an E18 star for the alternator bolts and every single plastic nut holding the wheel lining on sheered off. This looks like a standard problem.

The loom was tighter than a gnats arse. However, it came out, and what comes out must go back right!

I used an allen key to lock the tensioner in place, but it took me a while to work out where to stick it! All i can say is hats off to the people that can do it in a couple of hours! took me an age!

Cheers
A

·
Administrator
5,086 Posts
the alternators on the 9-3 have a higher amp output than the Vauxhall diesels..so will be a different pack..Make sure it's for the 130a alt..not the 105-120amp alts that are found on the vx diesel models..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi aerojon, unfortunately didnt see your post until i ordered it.

It arrived and looks the same, It said it was a Bosch pack but not a lot else.

Desoldering the old one took some time as i have a tiny electronics soldering iron, but It did come of eventually.

The new one was easy to fit and soldering the new easy enough.

refitting was much easier than removal, and how i have 14.2 v charge at idol. 13.5 with the ac and lights and radio on. If it stick it at 2000rpm it doesn’t go over 14.2 either.

So it all seems to be in order.

The only thing that is different is that the heat sink that sit on top of the rectifier only had 2 screwholes not three.

It also stikes me if heat is the main source of damage for these things, getting some heat conduction paste, something similar to cpu would be helpful.

Either way 15 quid and a few hours seems like a win. I am not sure the Mrs thinks so, as a couple of hours was more like 4.

Now for the Windscreen washer pump!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And thanks for all your help and advice and guides for people who have previously posted them. It is really appreciated by people like me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts