Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can anyone help me with the schmatics on adjusting my waste gate on the turbo how high can you set it before the emergency shutoff kicks in? p.s. my 87 9000t has a special "racing saab steering wheel" does this mean it is a special model was there any special models of the 9000 in this year? can i find out with my vin#

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The Haynes manual will tell you what boost pressure the wastegate should be set to. Think its about 5 or 6 psi. You need to electrically disconnect the APC solenoid whilst keeping vacuum/boost pipes connected. Valve is on top of radiator. Then connect pressure gauge to a suitable point on inlet manifold. Take car for a run record boost and adjust wastegate as required. This is the basic boost setting. Reconnect solenoid valve. The APC system then controls boost above the basic wastegate setting by bleeding air from the boost side to the wastegate to keep it closed, when knock is detected boost air is fed away from the wastegate to the intake of the turbo instead so the wastegate can open, boost is reduced and knock prevented.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Jeremiah
I have an Electronic Saab parts catalogue which identifies the model from the VIN - I don;t know whether this identifies special models. Contact me direct at [email protected] and I can check if you wish - alternatively phone a Saab dealer and ask them to identify the VIN - look at the Dealers section on http://www.saabs.co.uk/tsp/
HTH
/john

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I think the boost for full pressure turbos' was around ten psi. Mine's been adjusted to twelve psi and the apc cuts in sometimes on full acceleration. Next is a trip to the dyno and possibly a Abbot Racing chip.

Also Saab manufactured 'Tuning Kits' for the 9000 turbo and any model could have them. They were part of the optional accessories brouchure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts