Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by BurnsSide42:
[qb]i think all 9KT and 900T can easily Peg the odometer stock, so that's 135mph given the road...[/qb][/b]
The US speedo must be different to the UK one, then, which reads up to 140mph and pegging it (like a certain 9000 I was following the other day before my entire licence flashed before me and I backed off) would be 155-160mph.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I don't know about top speeds but I know one thing for sure. Mine goes of the scale easy. The scale goes to 210 km/h and logical proceeded the needle went one to about 230 and still didn't think on stopping. (I did, also got pictures off drivers licence in my eyes.) It is only a 2.3i. So my guess is that Just try it and see where you end.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The US speedo must be different to the UK one, then, which reads up to 140mph[/b]
Ours is numbered begining at 5 and going up to 135 in 10mph incriments. Probably because our max speed limit on highways used to be 55. There is a mark for 145 though it's just not labeled numerically.

I had my 87 up to around 130 at roughly 4200rpm so I still had some to go. A dierk in a Corolla was slow in the fast lane and wouldn't yield so I went around and he decide he would speed up (which is one of my pet peeves about drivers and I have many!) so I kept speeding up to see if he had the peanuts to go. He didn't but since I was already at 100 and traffic wasn't bad I decided to keep going until I was almost into downtown Nashville and had to resume normal driving. Needless to say I was early for my appointment.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well, I've had an indicated 140 out of my '96 CSE 2.3 FPT auto on the Severn bridge at 3am a few weeks back... although, it sounded like the end of the world and felt like she was about to take off. I don't think I'll be doing that again until I get something sorted at the back end, she had the shakes big time!

Even then, I'm not sure if I'll do it again!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i once read a page (back when i was considering my 9000) saying that the '87 9000 2.0T will hit 250kph (testing done in the US.. they did it on a circut track), which is right on the 6K rpm limiter.. i had mine at 225kph before i decided the road wasnt really safe beyond the 120kph i usually take it at... the car still had more in it though, which is good to know!
the 9000 still felt very solid at these speeds, unlike my mate's '89 Skyline.. which is rather light in the rear at 180kph.
hitting the fuel cutout means two things...
1: not drag limited with standard engine
2: if current engine went higher in revs - more speed!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
the standard aero is geared to give a top speed of around 190 in top gear...
I have degeared it to give a top speed of around
160 on the red line ....not taking it there tho..
last time I tried I dropped a valve @145 !!
ouch...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I would say that some reports are rather optomistic - a road test I read for for a 9000T gave a recorded top speed of 137mph and for my current GM900T (which has slightly higher gearing) 146mph. I would have thought that with standard gearing for the car it would be unlikely to pull 6000rpm in top gear unless modified - Take your final drive gearing as mph per 1000 rpm and multiply by 6 and that will give you a theoretical top speed, allow for wind drag, rolling resistance etc and you will get a realistic figure.
Had mine somewhere between 110 & 120mph last week following a Mercedes but backed off when thought of licence as need to drive for job

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
92 2.3T,if anyone knows the ********* Bye-pass,I achieved an indicated 132MPH between the lights at **** lane and the motorway roundabout,p....d off a scroat in a Astra.
My wife insists I grow up

[Edit by BillJ to remove incriminating details]

·
Registered
134 Posts
The main thing limiting the 9000t's top speed is in-between the drivers ears. My 2.3T will pull over the indicated 140 (on the test track of course, not the Queeen's Highway). But I find anything over 130mph is plenty fast enough in this country. Most modern cars top out at about that nowadays. HOWEVER, the joy of the Saab is HOW it gets there! Very quickly, smoothly and (usually) without the bumping and Whoosing I've come to expect from the Subabishi boy racer types inhabiting the by-ways. Better to have in-gear grunt than an overly high top speed you'll never get to in everyday traffic.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Thanks Bill for your concern,I very rarely exceed 80MPH in the car,in fact prior to the event mentioned I had not even approached 100mph in a car,since the mid-fifties,on that occasion it was in an Austin Atlantic between Cirencester and Swindon.
In the fifties that speed was legal,to-day it is not.The road used to blow the Cobwebs out of the Saab is dead straight,no houses,no pedestrians and there were only two of us,it was 2.30Am on a Sunday morning.
In the fifties the Cirencester-Swindon road was straight in parts,it was single carriageway and tree lined,I cannot remember other details.
My point is that in over 50 years,with all the technological improvements,a unremarkable event has become a heanous crime.
Progress or indoctrination??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.