Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I know it depends a lot from the ambient temp how quick the spool up times will be. But what is an average time for an 9-5 aero stg 3 for example?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by mushdaffer:
[qb]in its current standard aero, I was getting around 9/10 seconds although my wifes golf TDI (100bhp) does it very slightly quicker      [/qb][/b]
Not surprised the Golf TDi is quicker, the long legged gearing in the Aero means at 50mph in 5th youre only at about 1600-1700rpm, which is less than ideal for getting much instant response from dumping the trottle in 5th.

This may be worse after the Stage 3, be interesting for you to compare.

Be a bit different ball game in 4th as you should be closer to the torque sweet spot.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
 Maybe, but he also reckons he's got 315-320hp
Perhaps he's got a stopwatch from the same tuner as well
[/b]
This was good. I don't know, perhaps.

As for the TDI golf times i wonder if the speedometer is so accurate as the Saab one. Could it be, that at 120 you have a real speed of 115?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
It's quite simple really, the Golf 1.9 diesel has inherently more torque off boost at low revs than an Aero, has a smaller turbo, faster spool up and as previously mentioned probably lower gearing. If it's over 1800rpm at 50 then it'll be all ready to fly.

To compare, my 3.0 TiD is a little slower than an Aero over same range, it's not quite at the beginning of the big torque hike at 50 in 5th (1690 rpm - it doesn' really get going till 1800), and the damn turbo takes so long to spool up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, I'm new @ this forum

Just accepted and already reading my first topics here

Originally posted by 9-5 aero:
[qb]Alone in car? I know stock sedan 230ps is about 9sec and estate 9.5-10sec. I manage at the moment about 7.5 sec. But there is somebody here, who manages 5.9sec and this with an estate!   http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/776640  [/qb][/b]
That car is from my father..sweet ride

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wellcome on board Speed4Life!

I was just wondering how it's possible to get this time from an estate. This means, that the car has no turbo lag.

·
Registered
288 Posts
One question, why the heck do you want to compare times from a interwal where the turbo is not pulling? Maybe 80-160 in 4th would give a better view.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[qb]Wellcome on board Speed4Life!

I was just wondering how it's possible to get this time from an estate. This means, that the car has no turbo lag. [/qb][/b]
Our whole exhaust has been replaced for bigger ones. And We've got a big intercooler..and we've got another dumpvalve (actually it doesn't matter that mucht..)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Speed4Life:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb] Wellcome on board Speed4Life!

I was just wondering how it's possible to get this time from an estate. This means, that the car has no turbo lag. [/qb][/b]
Our whole exhaust has been replaced for bigger ones. And We've got a big intercooler..and we've got another dumpvalve (actually it doesn't matter that mucht..) [/qb][/b][/quote]From http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/776640
Estimated BHP: 315-320

std turbo and std injectors and 3.0bar FPR???
I would imagine max. 280BHP as a more realistic figure for that car with the listed mods.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I second Vigge. 310hp with stock turbo is just plain impossible. With an Abbott ECU (they just do stage one) you would already be very lucky to get 280 hp.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Always thought that low speed 5th gear times are a particularly odd measurement. I cant imagine a single instance where I would want to accelerate hard in 5th at 50 without changing down as its been posted above that the engine isnt that far above tickover.
Surely you'd want to do it in the shortest gear that will do the job to get a fair comparison? eg. 3rd gear in both cars? All seems to become a question of ratios at the end of the day and what happens when you have 6 gears? do you compare 6th with 5th...hmm

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi
It was just a question because almost all the auto magazines (and Hirsch) are doing this as also 60-100km/h in 4th gear. I usually don't use this gear if i have to overtake. I think the 4th is quick
enough

9-5 aero

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why shouldn't 315-320 bhp be possible if our car is faster than a 305 bhp hirsch...??

A couple of weeks ago I compared our measurements with a hirsch 305 bhp-movie...he did in +- 4,5 sec....and we did NOT replace our turbo..so..280 bhp max.......? (we didn't do anything with the gear-box..so it isn't adjusted only at acceleration or top speed..)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Before I fitted my bigger turbo, I had timed runs from 50-70mph in 4th gear at 4 seconds dead, and the same run in 5th and clocked 5 secs dead. That was in my 2.3 CD Carlsson with a few mods but running about 1.6 boost.
I now suffer a bit of turbo lag now but will try and get a comparison soon, problem is traction

1 - 20 of 26 Posts