Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Haynes Manual says "....then use a 7mm hex bit to slacken the guide pins"

Ya right!

How tight are those pins normally because I broke a 7mm 3/8 drive bit I got from Halfords. I now have another but I am bit nervous of winding up the torque too high. I'm frightened of braking the pin or tearing the top off it. Do those pins get rusted in? They arn't left hand threaded by any chance? Drilling the sucker out of there looks like a nightmare.

Any advice most welcome

Ken

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
They are ordinary pins which the caliper slides on and have normal threads.

None of mine have gone rusty.

I use a 7mm allen key with a 6" extension so it's about 10" long and they undo OK.

They do not need to be done up over tight when refitting, just nipped nicely.

If you are completely stuck you can take the other option and remove the complete caliper and mounting bracket by removing the 2 19mm (or 17mm...) bolts.

Andrew

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not usually that tight. I use a large (long) 7mm allen key which is meant for slackening those pins (can buy them at Halfords). They can get corroded but I wouldn't think it would get to that stage unless left for several years.
Suggest you try some plus gas on it or take it to a garage and let them worry about it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
BTW, a fair number of the "tools" sold in the emporium you mentioned are made, very cheaply, in Taiwan. Even in Hong Kong, such tools have a very, very poor reputation. Your Allen key was probably some bit of thick wire rolled into shape. Nothing beats good, but pricey tools!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed today. All pads replaced. Thanks for the hint Andrew. I put a short bit of pipe on the L shaped key I bought. Typically the first one I was trying to undo was the tightest. The others were much easier.

Thanks for the help .... Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.