Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Had a very similar problem with my 55 plate 1.9 16 valve last summer. Had dpf cleaned professionally but limped home again after 300 miles. Turned out to be previous owner had a non genuine SAAB dpf fitted that simply did not have the capacity to run between regens without triggering the dreaded blocked dpf fault code and resulting limp home. Fitted a good second hand genuine SAAB dpf, forced regen with tech2 and problem was solved. 6000 miles later and it regens regularly on it's own. As an old SAAB technician once said to me, "you can't have champagne motoring at beer prices".
It would be nice to know if anyone has had success with the aftermarket DPF's ...the ones on Ebay in the £200-300 range.
I havent heard any success stories as yet and believe it is because they are not manufactured with the correct ceramics inside.

·
Super Moderator
2,957 Posts
Post number 2 .
From neobrothers , classed as an alternative so how good it is , I don't know
But for £200.00 inc delivery , may well be worth a punt .

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Guys,

Latest update - Since it seemed very rough on cold start up I wondered if the pre-heaters were defective. Disconnected the wiring and tested the resistance. All 4 near as dammit 1 ohm, all 4 wires gave 12v for the requisite time before turning off again. Took them out one at a time. All four looked OK with a dry, heated spot on the tip.

Thanks to kwob and lizzard-t for pointing me at the map sensor. Easy enough to remove and it just looked like black, shapeless plug. Cleaned it with carb. cleaner and a toothbrush. Now looks like something that should be there. The car now runs a bit smoother but still rough when cold. When driving, the turbo doesn't seem to come in with such a rush, the performance below 1800 rpm seems better so the difference is not so noticable.

Might be that I'm learning how to drive a diesel after so long on the petrol engined versions but it seems that I really need to keep it above 2k and make most use of the 'box.

Still not done the manifold vacuum 'cause I've not yet got my Pals endoscope.

Paul @ Kippen

21 - 23 of 23 Posts