Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed an advert for the new saab 93.. is it just now that they have introduced 4 wheel steering?. If so what are they like to drive?.

Im picturing a car that goes round corners as if it was on rails . And just waiting for someone to make this an modification on their own saab .

Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
It's not real 4 wheel steering. It's "passive" - just done by a configuration of the rear suspension. There's no connection of the rear to the steering as Honda and others did.

But they do corner well

·
Registered
360 Posts
In my short test drive I found that I did not like the passive steering one bit.

Turning into a corner (even changing lanes quickly on a dual carriageway) the "passive" sterering comes in as the cornering forces increase, and tightens the turn.
I suppose you would get used to it in time but it felt really wierd as if the car had a mind of its own.

The brakes are also heavily servo-ed : coupled with the self-steering it struck me that this was an ideal way to get into a spin when trying to perform an evasive manouvre.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
It's what they mean when they refer to the Re-Axs rear axle, basically the suspension links are designed to pivot a little to give the passive RWS. C900s were a bit like that too, though in a less sophisticated way. It's one of the reasons they handle so well, that and the proper double wishbone front end.

Personally, on the 9-3ss I've tested, I quite liked it as it made the car very positive and turn-in was really pointy. Might become a bit tiring and feel nervous under "normal" use though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts