Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any Vauxhalls (eg. Cavalier Turbo) have the same mounting brackets as 9000's? I ask as HiSpec will charge £100 for a measure up?

Oh, HiSpec are now selling slimline 4 pots. Not sure if they will fit inside a standard Saab rim, though might be worth enquiring for those who want 4 pots, but are looking to retain their standard rims. £183+ VAT per caliper.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hmm... reading all this sort of thing just makes me think even more that I made the right choice going to AP. OK they're not cheap, but they are good.

Interesting to note a comment that even AP discs havea had problems with cracking. This is indeed true of their cross drilled discs when not warmed up and cooled down properly on track. Basically they had a run of petrol heads taking their cars out on tracks with AP kits, not following the correct procedures and cracking the discs as a result. As a result AP issued new advice that their cross drilled discs were not suitable for track use.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Makes sense that they would crack if ran hard then just stopped. Most of the disc would cool quickly, but the part between the calipers would stay warm. Since cross-drilling weakens to rotor ... voila ... cracks. Then again, it can't be good to treat any other rotor the same way, even if they're strong enough not to crack. Just good procedure to allow brakes to cool. Always.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Adrian, it's also the warm up that can lead to cracking- basically you need to work the discs up to temp before using them to the max. Same logic applies- if you try to put too much heat too quickly in to the surface, you get a large temperature differential and thus differential expansion... having them too warm when you come to a stop normally results in warping, especially if you leave your foot on the brake in thepaddock. It's also advisable to leave your handbrake off if you can for similar reasons.

I'd also be willing to bet that a lot of the folk cracking their discs haven't followed the proper bedding in and tempering procedures too.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Tar-ox certainley do offer a 10-pot kit aswell as a 6-pot kit for the 9000.
Kit No. KMSA0349 with a 330x26 disc available with either 6-pot or 10-pot calipers. Requires 17" wheels and may require a spacer.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Well in case anyone's interested, I got a response back from Alcon...

We do not currently have any kits for Saab vehicles, and given our current workload we are unlikely to. However you are welcome to make your own kits, using our new range of monobloc road calipers (both 4 and 6 psiton) should you have the necessary engineering facilities.

Kind Regards,
....[/b]
So how easy/costly is this to do? Best to forget about it and save up for an AP or Tar-ox kit?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts