Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I know that Abbott and Godspeed produce these, but does anyone else?

I was talking to someone this week who had a Mk 3 Capri 3.5LS. He had stuffed a ported, tuned, Rover v8 into it, which is as light as the 2.0l Ford unit!
He has used a couple of four pot calipers, namely Volvo (? used in the basic Godspeed kit? ) and Willwoods.

Both he and his brother had used Godspeed and did not rate them too highly. Along the lines of delivery times for stuff ordered, so I believe. He seemed to think that their prices were steep, too.

So, Abbott prices are super steep for brakes, Godspeed are merely steep. Question is, is there an alternative? If not, I might be spending £900 on some 325mm 4 pot Brembos at Godspeed as my next upgrade!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...but surely that is going to be a lot more than £900? I think Godspeed charge £1200 for the kit and Abbott £1495+VAT!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Yes, buy direct from AP... [/qb][/b]
Price-wise, though, I believe they're still significantly higher than Godspeed, and don't forget the price of replacement discs, which you'll need sooner or later.

Aren't the baseline Godspeed calipers the Austin Princess ones? I believe the Wilwood calipers use Volvo pads.

[Edit: DOH! Jez beat me to it
]

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill,

I don't think that Princess caliper's can be sourced anymore. Might be wrong about Volvo, though - George?

It seems like the Godspeed Brembo's are the best value that I have found to date if you want a shiney alloy caliper. £900 includes VAT for the 325mm (£795 for 308mm)and the disks are on alloy bells, which is rather trick. The owner (Ian) reckons that they outperform the standard cast iron clipers. Compare the price to Abbotts 2 pot 308 mm kit for £1175 & Godspeed is miles cheaper for a much, much better product.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, Nick. The Capri chap mentioned their name and gave me a number.

I will do some further intelligence gathering and report back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The basic Godspeed kits use either the AP calipers off the Princess (which are getting very scarce) or Volvo 4 pots from the 240s which are also getting less common as well. Both use a 38mm dia piston and very similar pad size.

One thing to be wary of with HiSpec is that they charge around £140+vat for one offs (ie those applications not listed in the catalogue) and to have the disks grooved is another £100 or so.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will check this with their current catalogue when I get home this evening, but I definitely remember seeing these prices in last years price list.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Called Hispec. Their 325 mm kit is £800+VAT and they will charge £100 for a bespoke measure up.

So, I am not sure whether to go with Godspeed/Brembo or Hispec Monster. Any ideas?

AP is too costly for me to justify the cost on the Saab.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, no extra cost for the grooving.

By the way, Godspeed are not well respected in the trade. I was told that no magazine would accept their adverts - I know not why.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
mke sure the hi-spec has dust seals otherwise you will be stripping them all the time
the willwood billet calipers do not have them so i decided on the (heavier ) volvo ones
btw I would choose the brembo's now...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Jez,

Im in a similar dilema to yourself - i am slightly better off in that i have calipers sourced already - a pair of Wilwood Superlite 4 pots which are 5000 miles old - cost me £50 mind you ,
I'd be interested to see how you get on with Hi-Spec as this is who im thinking of using for my Disc/Bell arrangement and possible fabrication of the caliper relocation plate.
I do have a metalworkers / fabrication shop in mind to make the relocation plate up which is local to me to keep costs down a little bit,
Once i get the TD-04 turbo on the C900 my brakes are going to have to be the next thing on the list of 'things to do' as currently they are stock but in fine fettle - this doesnt stop me from going through a set of front pads in <10k miles though
I unlike some others want to keep my 16" aero wheels which means the discs and 4 pots will have to be offset further back inboard to clear the inside of the wheels,
this is something which is less of a problem on the C900 than the 9000 due to the clearance afforded by the double wishbone front suspension on the C900 rather than Macpherson strut arrangement on the 9k.

Pete.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pete,

I will check re the sealing for both Brembo's and Hispec.

I have to say, I love the look of the Hispec calipers and the disks look fab.

I have found out that Tarox are about to do 4 pot kits, though maybe not for the 9k.

·
Registered
82 Posts
According to the HiSpec catalogue all the calipers for road use are fully dust sealed and anodised (only the race calipers are sold without dust seals).

Some prices from the catalogue

One off kits (design and development) £120
Drilling or Grooving £20 / disk
Fitting service £160

All prices exclusive of vat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts