Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have the 308mm kit on my 9K Aero.
On the car when I bought it,
and I need some discs and pads does anyone know of any alternatives than Abbott for these as over £500 for discs and pads is a bit on the expensive side!

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
IIRC the discs are from the 9-5 Aero/Viggen, but have to be modified/machined to allow fittment to a 9000, so as fitted, no you're not going to find another supplier.
You could possibly take the old discs off and buy a standard set of 9-5 Aero discs and see exactly what the difference is, and possibly then find someone else to do the mods to the new set to match.
But would this really be that much cheaper an option I wonder...?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I was thinking that but as you said would it be any cheaper!

I think I may aswell spend the extra and buy some 4 pots as I don't want to be a sucker to Abbott prices again as I bought the car from them in the first place.

Ah well I will do some research.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The discs are 9-5 Aero as suggested (you'll notice the Saab part number on the hub section). The difference is very simple, they have some more holes drilled in them to allow them to be fitted to four bolt 9000s. (They put a few grooves in for effect too, but I wouldn't bother) As for the pads, the standard pads that Abbott use are just that - standard, but not very good. I use Mintex M1144, part number MDB1940M1144, which are a big improvement. You can get these from the likes of Rally Design 01795 531871 or TMD Friction 08707 450584 at a reasonable price.

The only Abbott specific part of these brakes is the caliper bracket, the calipers are 9-5 standard.

If you send me a PM and tell me whereabouts in Berkshire you are, I may be able to suggest somewhere to get the holes drilled at reasonable cost.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The discs on my car are part number 5391560 which is the 9-5 Aero disc, with some grooves machined in them. Why they do not use the already grooved 9-3 Viggen disc I do not know, except that they cost about 20% more.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Kang:
[qb]I think I may aswell spend the extra and buy some 4 pots.[/qb][/b]
FYI, retail price for AP replacement discs last time I checked was around £187 plus VAT each. If you're doing the job "properly" you use new screws to fit them to the bells, another £20 or so IIRC. Pads are around £100.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That 308 brake upgrade Is good but It's also a pain In the Backside!

I had my Kit fitted about 3 years ago, but had to replace Discs & Pads just two 1/2 years/ 20K later.

Three months after that, I then had to replace the front pads as one of the Abbott pads (Apperantly modified BMW M3 pads) had cracked!

By this point I'd had enough of Abbott's and could'nt be bothered to complain about It.

TwoStroke's replaced the pads with standard 9-5 Aero ones, which were only £40 odd.

I find these to be just as good If not better anyway.

Next time I need new dics(which can't be long) I'll definetly look for an alternative to Abbotts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies chaps I think I will go down the road of getting some discs drilled with new holes myself.
As for the four pots may be a pain as I have the dreaded Azev A!! And clearnace is an issue if I remember correctly.

Cheers

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Kang:
[qb] 
As for the four pots may be a pain as I have the dreaded Azev A!! And clearnace is an issue if I remember correctly.
[/qb][/b]
If they are 17" then no, you can't get the APs behind them. I'm not sure if you can even get them behind 18" Azev As

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Gary N,

as far as I can see, only original Saab discs are available for the 9-5 Aero. I can find none from Brembo et al. I'm sure that Two Stroke could drill three holes in some Saab discs for you.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Mark (Bubbles) is correct, the problem with the Azev A is the clearance between disc face and the inner edge of the spoke of the Azev A, there just isn't enough to get a four pot caliper in there.
Disc clearance approx 45mm with an Azev A (7.5" x 17" ET30)
An extra 15mm available beyond where the Saab original caliper ends....
Nick.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you need be-spoke discs making then Ian Godney at Godspeed can do them based on any measurments you like and his prices will avoid you trading a kidney in.

Zippy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by Zippy9-3:
[qb]If you need be-spoke discs making then Ian Godney at Godspeed can do them based on any measurments you like and his prices will avoid you trading a kidney in.

Zippy [/qb][/b]
Blimey Zippy, just checked the Godspeed site and the kits seem good value. I am also in need of new discs and pads for the Abbott 308 kit, so for an extra £200 I can get the 325 kit with 4-pots, especially as I have ordered a set of 17" Compomotive's. Just to point out, Abbott's have always supplied me with Mintex 1144's when changing pads/discs.

Dave.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]The discs on my car are part number 5391560 which is the 9-5 Aero disc, with some grooves machined in them.  Why they do not use the already grooved 9-3 Viggen disc I do not know, except that they cost about 20% more. [/qb][/b]
Another option might be the crossdrilled 308mm Opel OPC discs.

link to Opeltuner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts