Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, this only my 2nd post.

Just out of interest I have just upgraded my V6 Griffen to the 308 Discs as fitted on Aeros and later V6's. Easy job, I used Black Diamond 'Comdi' discs front and rear and EBC 'Redstuff' pads front and rear. This had to include New caliper carriers for the front and 1 Ltr 5.1 Fluid and yes I have got 17" wheels all round. Treated myself to a set of 'Goodridge' hoses while I was at it. The total for everything including delivery was £634 after Vat, which I didnt think was bad. If anyone wants Part Numbers just drop me a line. Too many suppliers said to many wrong things, but the one who came up trumps is going to be put on the supplier pages. Still running discs in, but I can feel the difference after only 8 miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
not wanting to burst any bubbles here, but the whole kit inc calipers is available much cheaper, as low as 300 quid (however their supply regularity leaves something to be desired)
ok they arent black diamond, but its all genuine gm which performs very well even on the track (used this setup on my old racecar and on the road)
on a more personal (and bitter) note i hate redstuff and greenstuff after being left with a melted mess 1st time round and then scored disks on their (then) new compound when persuaded to run them on the track. lets hope they have a better compound now!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rob_S,

Thats cheap, (Bubble burst) ok, you win some, you lose some.

I had being using Greenstuff on the front for about 40000, with out any problems, infact I could still use them, as plenty left on them, so that was main reason I stayed with EBC. Rear were original SAAB having done 70000, with a little bit of life left in them.

I dont race which may help.

Hopefully the Redstuff will be OK and prove to be as reliable as the Greenstuff was.

Done some more miles today and they are bedding in nicely and can certainly feel the difference between original SAAB discs and the Greenstuff pads..

Cheers,

Pops.

·
Registered
30 Posts
havent used elkparts, so someone else will have to comment on service, but they do the 308mm kit with ebc and redstuff quite a bit cheaper than you paid. sorry, although sometimes its difficult to put a price on good service and i wont put the price up here

·
Registered
348 Posts
From the Elkparts Website:

Elkparts 308mm front brake upgrade kit GM900, 9-3, 9-5: £379.99
Performance brake hose kit, zinc/steel fittings 9-5: £84.60
RBF600 Racing brake fluid: £7.04

Total £471.63 + delivery

So rather 500 than 300 quid delivered

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Everyone,

I think I have misled people, the TOTAL Cost of £632 was for both front and rear discs (Black Diamond Combi) & both front & rear Redstuff Pads, including the Goodridge Hoses, Caliper Carriers & 1 Ltr Dot 5.1, oh and delivery. Yes I had seen the Elkpart upgrades.

Hope this helps with further comments.

The main reason for the upgrade was because I had to change the 2 brake pipes (seperate cost) that run from front to rear, because of the dreaded corrosion, which was pointed out to me on the last service. They were a absolute pig to do when it got near the fuel tank, I could have gladly throttled the design engineer. So soooner than strip it down later I did it all as "One Shot" this was accomplished while up on axle stands, and I dont get any younger.

Cheers all,

Pops.

·
Registered
30 Posts
aaah good, felt bad as it sounded like you had paid a serious amount for just the fronts
not so bad, but why redstuff on the rears?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again Rob_S,

Why Not I have always liked things to match, even when getting tyres, wipers, curtains, anything that can come in 2's or 4's Whether this is right or wrong, its just a popsism. (Or Maybe a Age Thing)

Cheers

Pops

·
Registered
30 Posts
wondering how they will manage to heat up enough to work, mine screeched on warm up, wasnt happy with them at all, but it was on a (much) lighter car

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All,

Just thought I let everyone know that Elkparts is FREE delivery over £400, as I went down that path to see how much delivery was the brake upgrade.

Cheers Pops

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi there,
i agree with rob s ebc are **** i,ve got green stuff on my old golf which only weighs about 800kgs and with only about 120hp and i can get fade with just one good stamp, i hate to think what they would be like on 1.5 tons of 95!
i've got mintex 1144 in the 95 and they perform well.
bye.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the Redstuff pads are "run-in" so to speak and they are cracking, no fade at all, similar to what Leon says but stamping on the left pedal (The Griffin is Auto and not the standard 200 BHP). So far so good. I will let everyone if they turn out to be ****.

Pops

·
Registered
83 Posts
I run EBC Redstuff and Brembo dics on my Aero for last 8 months I drive quite fast and have had no fade or problems. They do bite better than stock but more dust though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
popsbae1,

When you say that your Griffin is not the standard 200bhp, what mods have been done to your 3.0l v6?

Only curious as I have a 1999 v6 and would like to look at increasing the bhp a little.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Mark,
Nothing drastic. But I have had the chip remapped at HLM, Bromsgrove, Tel 01527 577710, Cost £600. This is supposed to have given at least 40 BHP and it is better petrol consumption, average around the 27/28 to Gallon, driving enthusiastically. Also put a JR Sports Reusable Filter in place of the original throwaway type, Price about £50, didn't alter the air filter box or ducting. Put a Oil Cooler on from a 325 BMW with thermostat, (E-Bay £35 for cooler) And have had a straight through S/S exhaust from Cat Back, hand made at PowerFlow, Leeds, Price £320. Just done the brakes to 308mm and am just going to put PowerFlex Bushes on all the front, but only Anti-roll at back for the moment. Still only done 70000 mls and still love it to death. Best Car I have ever had and that is in 40 years of driving.

Best of Luck

Pops.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts