Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was interesting for Saab drivers to now what it takes for 300hp long-lasting.
We had a discussing on Saab central but Simon the admin thought that I wrote was advertisement??
So he banned me.
Judge by your self.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthre...1536#post381536

Anyway.
This is the concept if you would like to build a fast 300hp Saab.

1:New piston, forged
2:Bigger intercooler, front placed
3:Bigger injectors, just a slight bigger
4:Better airways in to the turbo
5:Bigger turbo, Td04-18 or Garret GT28BB
6:New soft
7:3" down pipe with race catalyst and 2,5" exhaust.

Then will you have 300hp and 480Nm that will work in warm weather and looooooong hard driving.
You can get 300hp from about 4800rpm- 6500rpm.

Best regards Sasse

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Sasse, hmmmm.......

Not for me though, 480Nm would kill my autobox

Mind you, when the Saab warranty runs out I'll find it very difficult not do something to make it go just a little bit better...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
sounds about right
however what about the GTbb2871r ? It sound like the cats pajamas for a turbo

quick spooling and hi output ..the best of both worlds

or does some-one know different ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ylee coyote>

Is that the bigger GT28BB?

Im bad in numbers on the turbo.
I know that its a new bigger one thats builds from the GT28BB

R/sasse

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Sasse,

shouldn´t pistons and injectors be good for around 300 hp? I think the Hirsch Troll R runs 305 "reliable" bhp on stock pistons and injectors with no problems and Saab´s blessings (i.e. warranty). The turbo used is a custom trim of the Garret GT28RS.

Concerning all the other parts, I´m 100% with you.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
philip hs>

I dont know if you have missed that but saab has big problems with the pistons on the T7 engine.
Not for the power but the oil.

So to get buy that problem, change pistons.

R/Sasse

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Originally posted by sasse:
[qb]I dont know if you have missed that but saab has big problems with the pistons on the T7 engine.
Not for the power but the oil.

So to get by that problem, change pistons. [/qb][/b]
I believe that the PCV system was also partly culprit. There is a Saab service bulletin on that. Perhaps it not related?

Forged pistons tend to also have an oil "problem"; they get lots of blow-by when cold. Differen problem, perhaps, but still not good. A 4XXX series aluminum alloy will do better in that regards than a J&E 2XXX alloy. (The J&E pistons use copper as the primary alloying element to aluminum instead of silicon. It makes them expand and contract more, but makes them also stronger.)

Adrian W~

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi,

B235R problems can be avoided by changing oil all 10.000 km and cleaning the oil pan (?) from time to time. I have a MY04 engine which shows no signs of oil consumtion, even under heavy stress, and is serviced all 10.000 km by an Ex-Rallye driver and Ex-Saab-Factory Tuner

I just exchanged e-mail with Hirsch. On their 9-5 Troll R with 305/310 bhp, they use the following kit to reach more than 300 bhp safely and with Saab warranty:

- Modified Airbox
- Bigger Intake Pipe to turbo
- Modified Garret GT28RS turbocharger
- Big Intercooler
- Sport-Catalyst
- 2.75" Stainless Steel Cat Back System
- 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator
- Software

Hirsch keep the stock pistons and the stock injectors. There are no special problems with Hirsch-tuned cars known to me, and there are many of them in Germany and Switzerland, most of them driven to the limit on a regular basis. So I´m inclined to believe that this approach is safe and sound.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
25 Posts
450Nm is already a LOT......with this torque and some highway driving, 4th and 5th gear, the lifetime of the gearbox on a 9-5 will be around 50'000 km.
On a 9-3like you have Philip it can last a little longer, depends from the driving style. Than it will start to loose the 2nd and than the 4th gear...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trionic>

We have 500Nm on one of the concept cars.
It has gone 80 000km now with same gearbox and clutch.
And its drived haaaard.

But 400-420Nm is best but not the most fun ;-)

R/Sasse

1 - 14 of 14 Posts