Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The standard fit Michelin Pilot HX tyres on my Aero are a little scrubbed from the last few years of driving and Anglesey/Ring visits.

Before Goodwood I need some new rubber and the Bridgestone S03 sounds like a popular tyre.

I know people are running the 225/50 instead of the 205/55. This is more money, is it worth it?

If I am getting new tyres I could also do with having my wheels refurbished. Due to what looks like vigorous parking from the first owner of the car they are quite chipped, and as the brake dust was never cleaned off the surface is bad.

Any recommendations for wheel refurbishing within a not too huge distance of Worcester? Alternative is another set of Aero alloys but I don't imagine they are cheap.

Finally, should I get my wheels refurbished, does anybody have a set of 9000 wheels with tyres they could lend me for a few days while work is done in exchange for modest compensation? No burn-outs and they would have very few miles put on them

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
S03's are popular and cheaper than they used to be, but personally I like Toyo's because they're cheaper still. I'm currently using T1S Proxes, but ylee is using the newer T1-R's (only slightly dearer) and he's pleased with those IIRC.

Can't comment on the wheel sizes as my CD has the old style (ludicrously small
) wheelarches, so I'm limited to 205/50 R16's.

I obtained a set of well used super Aero's for Anglesey last year. I tidied up the kerb damage, removed the flaked paint and resprayed these myself. The wheels only set me back £150 so I'd say it's worth placing an ad in the Classifieds, you never know your luck! I plan to get my Carlsson wheels properly refurbed at some point and they will become my "Sunday best" wheels.

HTH

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
proxes are quite harsh compared to the goodyear fi's I was running before
I have tried SO3's before in the 16 " size but they did not last tooo long ...grippy tho

The carly has 225's and they do not rub but they are too wide for the rim imo....makes the steering very heavy and because you have so much more sidewall you loose precision

My reccomendation is the goodyear for the comfy ride ,longeivity and the wet grip...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Longevity isn't a great concern, I do about 6000 miles/year most of which are fairly steady, it is just the occasional blast...

I imagine I would stay with 205/55 as they are cheaper being a more common size.

It would be nice to get a 2nd set of wheels with sticky tyres and keep some sensible road tyres but maybe that is taking it a bit far for one/two trackdays/year with my budget. Have taken Jason's advice and am on the lookout for cheap wheels.

I have heard good things about the Eagle F1... not sure about the conmfy ride, I am running standard Aero suspension with only a few poly bushes so the setup probably isn't as hard as yours.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They look good... you should have really bought them before winter for some exciting driving

Interesting that their suggested rim sizes for 205/55/16 are 5.5 - 7.5 and for 225/50/16 are 6.0 - 8.0

Should give you plenty of grip...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.