Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After messing around looking for a 3" cat for my 9k Aero and concluding on the Catco CTO-8007 (I think this is the JT sport-cat anyway)
I then found this little item for an extra $50
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/powercat.htm

It ticks all the race-cat boxes (small, metallic substrate, free flow etc) as far as I can see but I'll report back once I've actually tried to fit it and pass emissions

·
Registered
348 Posts
Very interesting. I´ve got the JT Race Cat, which passed Euro 3 emmission test without any problems. Any idea which model this is? A friend of mine might be interested.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The model is Dynatech Powercat DTC-79-400300 thats all I know. From the spec and IMHO I'd say this is virtually the same as as a JT race cat - size and spec lead me to this conclusion.

I've just ordered it and at 110GBP including shipping and handling to the UK from Ohio , I'm not complaining. (it weighs 2kgs)

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's a great price
Can't wait for your views on it. Have the JT sport cat (well, not on the car at the moment ) and was a bit peeved to hear it's more or less a standard cat, just bigger

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm - I think even the JT sport cat is actually quite a free flowing item when compared to standard.
If they are still using the Catco 8007 model, it's large and is designed for cars up to 7.7 litres (apparently). It's also 3" (of course)
and is sold as free-flow by Catco so I would wager it is a still lot better than the standard cat.
Still not sure why the race cats are so tiny - must be quite different in design.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I can glean:

Sport Cat:
Ceramic Honeycomb Core (this is coated with the catalyst material)
Like standard cat but bigger - mainly larger frontal area and results in a freer flow.
Effectively an oversize standard cat

Maptun use this Stage 3-5 (up to 340bhp)
Speedparts use this Stage 3 (285bhp)

Race Cat:
Metallic substrate core (this is coated with the catalyst material)
Very free flowing/low back pressure
Less cat volume required as the walls of the honeycomb core much are thinner = more surface area for a given volume = better flow
Faster reaction time (i.e. works sooner after starting engine)
Tougher

Maptun - Stage 6 and up (400bhp+)
Speedparts - Stage 4 and up (310bhp+)

To be honest I bet the difference is marginal to say the least at my paltry 285bhp - but so was the £30/odd difference amd I thought it may assist in future gearbox destroying activities should I take the plunge.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i know im on dodgy ground here, but what would be the net effect of me sticking a race cat on my car, aero maptun stg 1. Will it be a net negative of marginally postive, bearing in mind i will be moving onto stg 2 and 3 shortly when finances allow

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by chris-edinburgh:
[qb]i know im on dodgy ground here, but what would be the net effect of me sticking a race cat on my car, aero maptun stg 1. Will it be  a net negative of marginally postive, bearing in mind i will be moving onto stg 2 and 3 shortly when finances allow [/qb][/b]
I wouldn't bother yet, as, if you are intending to move to Stage 2 or 3 (better off missing out on 2 and go staight to 3) as a sport cat is part of the package, and could be substituted at that stage for a racecat if desired.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Bit by bit idea is good, if it's practical.

I'm assuming as you are only Stage 1 you still have the standard exhaust, so fitting the 3" race cat to a standard system is not a practical proposition, that's why you need to wait until getting the 3" JT with DP + sport or race cat that comes with the Stage 3

If you want to do bit by bit you could start buying up the exhaust system bit by bit, and then when all bought, fit it, and then get your discounted Stage 3 re-map from Maptun....

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
[qb]What is the story with the discounted ecu? must you by the exaust components for example via maptun? [/qb][/b]
Not far as I'm aware, no.
Once you have bought once from maptun, you get a hefty discount for just upgrading the software to another stage.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
[qb]aeropilot, this brings me onto my next 2 questions,
What is the story with the discounted ecu? must you by the exaust components for example via maptun? [/qb][/b]
I asked this question of Maptun/uk recently. You don't have to buy any of the other components from maptun themselves, although you do pay a small premium for not having done so. I was thinking of going cat-free for a budget stage three option (2.5" cat' plus adaptors going back on for MOTs). I currently just have a 3" cat-back and high-flow air filter.

If the dynatech cat works out for faero then £110 seems a pretty good price for a cat' at a later date.

·
Registered
266 Posts
yeah, it was the £110 that was getting my attention,
im just wondering if the 3" JT system is the best or if getting a 3" stainless steel fitted would be ok too?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
[qb]yeah, it was the £110 that was getting my attention,
im just wondering if the 3" JT system is the best or if getting a 3" stainless steel fitted would be ok too? [/qb][/b]
I'd personally go with the JT, as you'll need the JT 3" down pipe anyway, unless going for the expensive S/S 2.75" one from Abbott's.

A month or so after fitting the full JT system to my old 9000 Aero, the MOT tester (MOT tester is rally preperation guy) said that was a really impressive exhaust system.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
[qb]and how long on average do they last?
i was definatly gona got the JT downpipe, just was not sure bout the rest of the system [/qb][/b]
Being aluminised steel, they should last longer than a standard mild steel. BillJ has probably had his for 3+ years and I don't think he's had to replace any bits yet. When I sold my 9000 Aero, the JT system was well over a year old and had barely started to aquire any external surface discolouration let alone rusting. And Leon must have had his JT sytem on his 9-5 for almost that length of time as BillJ.

I really wouldn't be worried about the JT system at all, I'd have had no hesitation in getting the full JT system for my 9-5 Aero now, if it wasn't for the possibility about T7 downward adapting with the hardware change.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts