Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

This is a question for anyone else who has fitted the JT 3" Exhaust system to their 9000.

I'm planning on shortly getting the MapTun Stage 3 Upgrade for my MY97 9000, but I am a little concerned over how noisy the exhaust system will be with the Sport Cat. Can anynone give me an idea of how much noisier it's likely to make my car?

The reason I ask is that although I love to hear the exhaust growl when you put your foot down, I recently drove a courtesy car from a certain local tuning company which had their complete exhaust system fitted, and the constant loud exhaust noise became really irritating after a while .

Mark

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Not that much louder inside.

There is a bit more noise at 2500-3000rpm when on boost, but nothing obscene.

From outside the car sounds more like the Classic 900 T16's, a deeper burble to the exhaust and quite plesant.

I'm really pleased with how mine sounds.

Andrew

·
Registered
382 Posts
i have this exhaust fitted with sport cat. takes a few days to get used to the little extra sound but when you floor it in second gear with a maptun stage 3 ecu, you get a wonderful sound. i would not change mine back to standard now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

To be honest you expect and want to hear a little extra exhaust noise, particularly when you put your foot down. I just needed to be sure the exhaust noise was not going to be too in your face when the car was cruising or ticking over.

But once again you've all put my mind at ease - thanks guys.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
As a final postscript to this, what I can add is that in my experience you only really start to get intrusive cabin noise when you remove the centre box/cat. Apart from doing this, I think you will find most aftermarket systems quite acceptable noise wise.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have the JT fitted to my '94 GM900T and without a cat - not at all intrusive and I remember commenting to Julian at Elk at the time I fitted mine how much it resembled a C900 sound especially when idling.
Regards
Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BillJ, its good to know I'm not the only one who found the sound of the full exhaust system of a certain tuning company absolutely 'mind numbing'

Once again, thanks everyone for your replies.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts