Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just booked my '95 Aero in to have a 3" downpipe (to cat) made by LongLife Exhuasts (near Bristol). They have quoted me £140, which I think is reasonable. I'll let you know the outcome but was just wondering whether any of you had any suggestions or advice about what I intend to do.

Cheers,

Alanb

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Or add a 3" sport cat instead and not have to faff about come MOT time. I have the JT 3" system (including cat) on my '96 Aero and it made a noticeable difference.
The only thing I would say is that there is very little space around a 3" downpipe (or at least around the JT downpipe) so they'll need to be accurate.

How much are they quoting?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Doh! £140.
OK, I was paying attention really. I got my complete system from Maptun for £485 including shipping from Sweden. The cat was around £200 of that, so the downpipe can't have been much more than £140. It's proven, too.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Bill,
I was interested in the Maptun system because of the cost.....you're not that far away from me (and HH is where my missus is from), any chance of a meet up to have a look and listen to that Maptun system on your Aero..???

Graham

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Jason, Maptun don't appear to list the exhaust system separately on their site (at least, I couldn't find it). However, call them and they'll give you a price (in Swedish Kroner - £1 = 14.52 SEK at todays rate) along with useful advice. They speak excellent English (which is good, as I don't speak any Swedish at all) and are very helpful. I dealt with Johnny, but I'm told Fredrik is very helpful too. I have found them excellent to deal with and very fair. I have the JT exhaust system from them and I recently bought an ECU upgrade to go with it. They know an awful lot about the ECU software and I believe they have had some association with Saab in the past.

By the way, both guys have identically-tuned 360hp 9000s, although apparently they are building a 450hp engine for Fredrik's car. Johnny told me he said it won't last and Fredrik said "I don't care, I just want to have the fastest one". I think they know how to get speed from a 9000. My Maptun Aero Stage 2 upgrade is pretty impressive.

Aeropilot, check your private messages.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Cheers Bill,

For anybody else's info, I believe the guys at Maptun are the ones responsible for suppling the ECU mappings for Trollspeed (no prizes for guessing the location of Trollspeed from the name..!!) Trollspeed is the famed Saab engine tuners that have built the modified Saab engines for many of the famous Swedish rally and rallycross stars, including Per Eklund's awesome 750bhp Pikes Peak 4wd 9-3 Viggen, which is after all a works sponsered project.
Yup, Maptun know a thing or two about Saab's....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah, I went there and was told:

a. A 3" downpipe was impossible to make with such a tight bend (showing a picture of the JT pipe made no impact on them)

b. Downpipe wouldn't do as much good in BHP terms as replacing the rest of the system

c. They'd do a cat back system for £340+vat

I walked off with wallet safely in my pocket.
I've now tried to buy a JT3" downpipe from Norhspeed, SQR and Speedparts but none seem willing to reply to my emails. I think I'll give Maptun a go given Bill's positive comments.

Alanb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts