Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i'm thinking about changing the exhautt on my 93 9000 aero to a jt system but what i want to know is, should i get the 3" downpipe as well?? will the downpipe and cat back system work well or should i just go with the cat back system until i can afford the maptun ecu upgrade and get the downpipe then?bearing in mind the car is standard apart from a performance air filter.
also is it worth going for an induction kit ?
cheers

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers for that chaps.the thing is,ive got £400 to spend so i need to spend it wisely.i can't afford the race cat so should the 3"downpipe/standard cat/3" jt cat back with filter be ok???
new dilemma-should i forget all this and get a maptun stage 1 ecu upgrade instead??
if i go down the exhaust route would i need to set the car up either with an adaptation run or rolling road??
sorry about all the questions but i dont want to waste my £££s as its a bit in short supply these days!
thanks again

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by aerojod:
[qb]cheers for that chaps.the thing is,ive got £400 to spend so i need to spend it wisely.i can't afford the race cat so should the 3"downpipe/standard cat/3" jt cat back with filter be ok???
new dilemma-should i forget all this and get a maptun stage 1 ecu upgrade instead??
if i go down the exhaust route would i need to set the car up either with an adaptation run or rolling road??
sorry about all the questions but i dont want to waste my £££s as its a bit in short supply these days!
thanks again  
 [/qb][/b]
In that case I would check your exhaust first, if it's fairly new or looks ok I would go for the stage 1 as it will give you a bigger smile
Bear in mind that an ecu upgrade can show failings in other areas (DI Cartridge etc).

The open air kit is fairly easy to fit, I fitted mine at the weekend induction note is louder but not too loud, I can now hear the air being sucked in and spool up is slightly quicker.

The exhaust route is best done in one go 3" with sports cat, if you wish to retain your standard cat you will require reducers and will possibly have the hassle of having to dismantle the system at a later date, you could also leave out the cat and go for a straight through pipe but would have to be replaced for the M.O.T

All of the above would require an adaption run, instructions for this can be found on this board or on Billj's.

Hope this helps

Steve

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You can get a 3" metallic substrate race Cat from the US from Dynatech for £120 including Import duty and postage. pm me if you want details.
Get the Cat bypass pipe and the exhaust fitter can weld in the cat. (this is what I did, works a treat).
PS - You dont even need a cat on a '93 but its a bit too 'droney' without one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
steve-
thanks for your opinions on this.i now think its time to forget about the exhaust because of the £££'s.
as for the factor its maptun stg 1 for me then!!
the indution kit-could i make my own induction kit with the jr filter i already have??

faero-
that race cat sounds tempting mate especially at that price anyway!
but,as before,ithink its stg 1 time instead
do you mind me asking what stage you are at? is it maptun ?? and what can i expect ??

thank to you both

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'm speedparts stage 3 - way faster than standard with buckets of torque. 3rd gear a hoot. Almost undriveable (i.e. to drive anywhere near power limit) in standard suspension/brakes imho. I think maptun is a little more subtle in its approach but I have never compared the two directly.
Stage 1 is still biggest bang for buck - you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers,sounds nice your ride..
i gather yours is not a 1993 model as i only have maptun to chose from. tried elkparts and they don't do 1993 cars
nevermind, thanks again

·
Registered
494 Posts
Stage 1 is still biggest bang for buck - you wont be disappointed[/b]
i agree wholeheartedly

in terms of Maptun vs. Speedparts, i could not say... i went with a Swedish Dynamics package for my '92 900 turbo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts