Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a 97MY 9000 (2.0 Eco) with a Hirsch stage 1 (now 215 bhp). After may helpful replies to an earlier post, I've bought a JT 3" downpipe (+sports cat - it's all one unit on my 9000) to help it breathe more easily. But, having done a few searches, I'm now confused about whether I will do any harm to the engine/turbocharger.. lots of posts saying you should really get the ECU remapped or the Trionic 5 could run lean (with potential dangers). My Hirsch stage 1 has always worked really well and I'm loathe to tinker with it. Will the 3" downpipe and sports cat help the engine out or will it potentially confuse the T5 leading to damage. My mind is all a bit screwed up now and I really would appreciate any help!!

Finally, the main dealer who fitted the upgrade (6 yrs ago)said they check the basic boost by taking the hose from the turbo (to APC) and pressurising it until the actuator rod moves, then reading off the pressure in the line. Is this a useful way to do it rather than the 3000 rpm run?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
A T5 car will not have any problems when you add a 3" downpipe. I've read a few times that a T7 car may have a problem, but not the T5. The bigger downpipe will only do your engine good by getting heat away from the turbo and cylinder head quicker. Spool-up will be quicker and you should get more power.

Base boost should not need to be checked unless you end up with a problem after adding the downpipe, which I don't think you will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts