Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Stu,
As the sort-of part owner of a 9000 CSE V6, I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf mods for this engine.
I would imagine, as a N/A engine you would have to delve into the realms of good old fashioned tuning methods to get anything out of this lump.

Custom exhaust manifolds, ported heads, high lift cams, pistons etc., and then work out how to get more fuel into it.....

All very expensive I would think.

You could always have a delve around some of the Vaux/Opel forums to see if anything is available for the Omegas.......even though the Saab unit is slightly different from the Vaux/Opel unit.
Perhaps Irmscher would be a starting point I suppose.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Sell it and buy a 2.3T...

Seriously though, like most NA cars, there's not a huge amount you can do without getting in to serious engine work. I don't recall any of well known Saab tuners offering upgrades. The likes of Superchips may do something- but you'll only get 10hp or so for around £300.

There's not that many of them around, so the chances of finding anything model specific are remote I'm afraid.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've got the same problem as I've got a 3.0L Griffin lump in my NG900. AH Motorsports in Hartney Witney (Just outside Farnham, Surrey, where we're holding the Southern Rolling Road Day in May, have a guy who can custom reprogram the Motronic ecu. Won't give much in the way of extra bhp but they reckon you'll get a fair hike in torque. Price is around the £300 mark. Worth combining it with an induction kit from Elkparts @ about £70 inc p/p.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hello Stu,

I know thread is a bit old but here goes....

Go onto ebay and type in search box: 20 BHP

You will get a big list, but no need to go past top 2 or 3 items.

A tiny resistor that can give up to 20 extra BHP ( more likely 6 or 7 BHP !! - Equivalent to a better octane fuel maybe, but I am not technically minded).

For just a couple of quid it may be a small start to getting a few more BHP.

They are suitable for N/A engines so OK for yours.

Only an hour ago I was offered a lovely 1994 2.3T Griffin on an 'L' plate. Beautifull in every respect except Autobox is just starting to go and it struggles to pull away in drive although OK in ALL gears when rolling - kickdown also OK.
Pity as he only wants £200 for it

May have to buy it to use it as a donor car for my 1994 9000 CSE 2.3 FPT (which IS well modified ) but seems a shame for such a lovely car.
Shame a £2 resistor won't sort an autobox out !!!

Cheers,
Andy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it were my car, the first things I would do is get an open air intake, make sure the plugs and wires are top of the line (Don't think it has a DI?), and maybe improve the exhaust system. Also, companies that offer underdrive pulleys will usually offer to make a lighter replica of your crank pulley if you send them the original(probubly the others too if you want to go through getting them off). That could kind of "nickel and dime" the numbers up. After that, like everyone else said things get expensive.
Generic parts are you friends!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Bowles:
[qb]Hello Stu,

I know thread is a bit old but here goes....

Go onto ebay and  type in search box:  20 BHP

You will get a big list, but no need to go past top 2 or 3 items.

A tiny resistor that can give up to 20 extra BHP ( more likely 6 or 7 BHP !! - Equivalent to a better octane fuel maybe, but I am not technically minded).
[/qb][/b]
These things work very simply by inducing cold start in the cars programming and throwing more fuel in... which when it's warm will overfuel by a degree, and could lead to serious engine damage over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.