Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

hope i have a better chance of actually getting a reply here than in alt.autos.saab, well, i have a 1990 9000T and 2nd is sometimes popping out when going straight, for sure when off-load and turning to the right side, but NEVER when when turning to the left side, with and without engine load.
i also noticed a very sloppy shift pattern and im not always able to engage first and 2nd easily, there is a high pitched knock (click) when stepping on and off the gas in first rapidly. i have so far replaced the gearbox mount with one of those yellow tight mounts from abbott and i replaced the mounts in the engine stay bar (torque arm). is my best bet the rubber linkage in the shift lever?

bye

simon

·
Registered
496 Posts
your pinion bearing is shot. Time to rebuild that tranny or find a "new" one
My friend hasta do the same thing with his SPG. Sounded and acted like wheel bearings going bad, but nope, it was the Pinion gear bearing, as soon as you begin to hear that whine, you have about a month of easy driving to go before it's dead in the water. Sorry to break it to ya, but i am about 90% sure that is the problem you have. Good Luck

·
Registered
623 Posts
I thought 9000s didn't had a pinion bearing like C900s.

How do lower motor mounts look? if the torque arm and the trans mount were shot, there are chances that the other two are too.

I'd say have a look at the rubber linkage, if it's not worn then consider replacing the engine mounts.

There's for sure someone who knows about it more than me, but wasn't there a way to adjust the shifter? could this be a case where it's needed? I don't know, but I hope so for you, it should be really cheap to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

thanks for the advice so far,
im just not 100% persuaded that it is the gearbox itself, because it didnt come gradually at all, itj ust started popping out and its not getting worse or anything, i noticed that i almost have no shift pattern and that all gears seem to move "in" ab it more than 2nd, i also notice t hat when in 2nd i can move the gear selector pretty much to the left and even more to the right, forcing it to jump out... i will check out the rubber linkage when i change the engine oil tomorrow.
i also get a high pitched metallic click when letting the clutch come quickly in first and second from a stop.. when the gear jumps out in a right turn and i try to hold it in, i can feel something knocking heavily, thats why i think its rather something like linkage or so. i hope that atleast i wanted to overhaul my gearbox when the clutch is goign, well it seems to end the other way round,
thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.