Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at the upgraded ecu possibilitys and in the uk i have noted that abbott do a plus 30 bhp version and speedparts do a plus 44bhp version.

I would like to gain more power without compromising reliability and i would also like improved fuel consumption when driving easy.

What is the best option from anyones experience ?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
From what I've read, my personal choice would be MapTun. They've always done an awesome job with every car I've seen of theirs. Nordic, and SQR should also be considered. They are all excellent tuners.

Generally, again from my personal preference, I would avoid a stage 1 upgrade. I feel Saab did an excellent job with T7 software, and I feel the tuners have very little to "tune". Once an exhaust an intake is installed tuning will be more beneficial and necessary. Spending $800 for a stage 1 I just don't feel is worth the benefit. Just my oppinion though.

Dubbya~

edit: Also don't forget Hirsch. They're a bit more expensive, but they are Saabs factory warranted tuner. They have quite a bit to offer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to disagree with Adrian. I had a Maptun Stage1 ECU fitted a few weeks ago by WMSS and the difference is amazing. Once its gone through the "learning" process the car really pulls like a train. (It`s a 2000 9-3 Aero by the way. Also does 30-35 on a run and thats using a fair bit of wellie.

WMSS are a good bunch of lads into the bargain.

Hope this helps.

regards

Andrew

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Welcome Metaxu and Yorvik

It will be hard to improve your mpg with the upgrade as you will love the
too much

( PS I'm an avid MapTun fan too
)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greetings again , Adrian, yorvik, chris b - hear hear on the

Im tending to think in similar lines to Adrians i that i would ideally like to improve the airflow first then the ecu.
However i cant info on the hirsh site regading the 230bhp aero or prices so i have emailed them. But as they are swiss, the prices will probably be laced with gold.
Loose bucks shortage will probably push me to go for the ecu first then air filter then add exhaust as i need it.
Im assuming that one of the reasons that the upgraded ecu manages to extract more power than original saab is down to faster better software - is this true among other things.
Its interesting that you are all pleased with the maptun heads as ive checked out some of the figures :-

The speedparts stage 1 offers plus 44bhp andplus 84 Nm at £470 (dont know if VAT to be added here) and includes the air filter , also the ppc is a good idea for me.
The abbott ecu gives plus 30bhp and ? Nm at £435 ( dont know if VAT to be added)
But the maptun ecu gives plus 30bhp and 420Nm at £588 plus VAT.

Also there are abbott hi - flo intercool, performance induction kits , delivery pipes, turbos, big intake pipes, which would help cooling and increase power status and different dump valves , manual boost control valves etc

The speedparts appears to give the greater increase but as we know, this is not everything.
The maptun site does talk about excellent torque characteristics throughout the rev range and i like the sound of it and all 3 of u seem to favour maptun.

The abbott unit sounds good as well.

I will await the hirsh info .but any further comments are appreciated

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've not driven a Maptun car, but my speedparts stage 1 on a 9k aero (+ ITG filter airbox mods) drives with much better response than before. The torque is well higher in the mid range, but if you watch the boost it only really gives it a full 'slug' at about 4k+ rpm -at which point it really does go.
There is a sensation of constantly increasing power (vs. the annoying taper of before) which is great fun...
I have a feeling that maptun maintains the saab character and probably has a more constant torque through the range, but must have an element of taper too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello everyone

I am new to this forum but i read it since 6 months now. I had an 900SET with Hirsch ECU at the biggining and after that i changed it with a Maptun one. Hirsch was very good but Maptun had more Torque, a little bit more aggressively also. With Maptun ECU there was more torque at lower RPMs too.

Now i own an 9-5 Aero with 230Ps and this week i get the ECU from Maptun.

I let you know also as soon as i install it.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Welcome metaxu, Yorvik and 9-5 aero!

Any of the like of Abbott, Hirsch, Maptun, Speedparts will provide you with a useful increase in torque and thus acceleration even in Stage 1 guise. They tend to have different characteristics though. In my experience Speedparts and Abbott give you a bigger initial hit but taper more, whilst Maptun builds to slightly higher level.

As for who you choose, if you're happy with a DIY fit, then there's not much to choose between them, but if you want an "assisted" fit then you might like to consider Abbott or Maptun.

A free flow air filter will also give a useful benefit when allied with an ECU upgrade.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Originally posted by metaxu:
[qb]However i cant info on the hirsh site regading the 230bhp aero or prices so i have emailed them. But as they are swiss, the prices will probably be laced with gold. ...  I will await the hirsh info .but any further comments are appreciated [/qb][/b]
Give Reading Saab a call as they are the main Hirsch dealer in the UK - Gordon Lamb in Sheffield also do a bit but are less knowledgeable in my experience.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi again,

i received the hirsh stage 1 price and i would like to go with this one but its just too much at present so i will take one of the others.

hirsh 280bhp includes ecu software, allum intercooler, induction pipe, air filter, single catback 70mm exhaust system

price including vat and fitting = 2895 pounds

·
Registered
477 Posts
Metaxu,
I have the Abbott ECU upgrade on my 9-3 Aero, and it made a huge difference to the Power - effortless overtaking at any speed. I seem to remember that it was a "claimed" 40 BHP upgrade on the 9-3. I had an ITG air filter fitted at the same time, so not sure what difference it would make on it's own.
Where in the UK are you, as I had mine fitted at a garage in Dalkeith (just outside Edinburgh), along with the VRK, and the whole lot fitted only cost me £1000, and I got a loan car while they sent my ECU to Abbott. They are also a Maptun agent as well.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I didn't realise that Roseisle did Abbott as well. That's interesting - it might save me a helluva drive in future.

I've got a 9000 Aero with a lot of Abbott engine mods:

ECU
Cat back exhaust
ITG Filter
Intercooler
Gas Flowed cylinder head
Intake pipe
Manual Boost control
Dump valve

as well as brakes, suspension etc

And, truth be told, I'm not sure that I'm getting as much of an improvement as I would have liked and as was suggested on the website.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes Gordy, Roseisle deal direct with Abbott. I also had Black Diamond discs fitted all round on my 9-3 Aero 2 weeks ago. Just waiting for the adjustable Koni's to come in, and then I'll be back down for them and a set of eibach springs. They are dealing direct with Eibach as well now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
at this moment, im in north scotland but i travel around with my work.
I remember seeing a souped -up red 9000 aero for sale last year for a very high 9000 pounds area and it may have been from that dalkeith garage.

I personally like the sound of the hirsh pack as they give a lot of details and reasons for their philosophy but the price is too high for me at this time.
The problem is, that the others also give good reasons for their methods but i think i like the sound of the maptun continued ascension
as opposed to the early peak and fade program . Although the speedparts ppc is a great idea.

Im going to think about it for a couple of weeks till one of them really calls me

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello to all as this is my first message here eventhough I've been reading for a while.

As I own a MY2001 9-5 Aero Automatic and I am looking for upgrade options, I am exactly in the same situation with Metaxu.

9-5 Aero:
Is your car automatic? Please share with us the results if you applied already the Maptun and which stage please?
One thing I noticed strange is that Maptun stage applications and results are different on these sites.
www.maptun.com
www.maptun.co.uk

Metaxu:
Did you decide already?

As I live in Turkey, I thought that PPC upgrade is best option as I don't have to send the ECU and I can do the hardware here. But I wouldn't be happy if the push is only at low rews. I am not sur if I understood this correctly.

I also thought that the Aero exhasut is already a performance one.

PS: How can I add a photo to the message?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I remember seeing a souped -up red 9000 aero for sale last year for a very high 9000 pounds area and it may have been from that dalkeith garage.[/b]
That is the owners car
it is a maptun stage 5
with lots of Abbott mods and AP brakes..
worth 9k?
he has probably spent more than that on the mods..

I would put it at a more realstic 7k myself...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was so close to going for that 9000, but 9000 was way too much for me at the time. But im so glad i held on for the 9-5 which is superb

Turkish , i have the manual version (it has to be manual for me ) but im still actually enjoying the standard performance but i would intend to upgrade over the next few months.
See 9-5 post.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I drive an Omega as the company car with during the workdays and my wife enjoys the Saab. We switched to Saab from a Subaru Forester which was a quite nice car as well especially the AWD handling. It missed the gismos compared to current Aero as night panel, dimming mirror, Harman Cardon 9 speaker system. I don't understand though why CD changer is optional while ventilated electric seats are standart Well, getting a CD changer is probably cheaper then replacing seats of lower specs and most of the time we are tuned to fine stations anyway so it is still cool

As a conclusion it had to be an Automatic for her as she is used to that and now we have to reserve a special place at the back seats for our newly born baby, Yasmin. So it was a good choice for a mom.

But I definitely agree that a performance car
should be Manual.

By the way I put all dyno data to excel spreadsheet of Hirsch Stg 1, Maptun Stg 3 and BSR stg2 which are all about 280-285 HP but various NM values. I don't know how to post it though. I also have Hirsch speeding info on supplied by them but on excel as well for stage 1 & 2.

Stay tuned
Tufan

1 - 20 of 55 Posts