Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

20t SAAB 95 Vector est 2003

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  snakedoctor 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I'm a newbie here and with Saab I have just swapped at the local dealers my Renault megane 07 :( for a 20t SAAB 95 Vector est 2003 45k on the clock FSSH :thumbsup: , I have never drove one before but I am enjoying it up to now(only got it yesterday) what I would like is general info/spec, I have heard about the sludge in the engine but not sure how common it is?
It has standard bulbs (not xenon) which I am looking to change for Osram +90% Nightbreaker for more clarity.
Would be possibly looking at upgrading brakes/discs later on as these feel a bit soft and I also need a spare key/alarm fob as I only have one and it's the just incase scenario.
Most of all have I done the right thing.
Have too say this site is excellent so much experience helpfulness and general banter I can see many a question being answered here.

Many thanks

#2 ·
Welcome! :)

"In theory" your car should be free of sludge. I think that Saab went to fully synthetic oil around the time your car was built. The sludge problem was mainly due to the older spec semi-synthetic oil degrading the rubber crankcase vent pipes and also degrading of the oil itself. HAving said that a sump drop and clean would give peace of mind.

The upgraded headlamp bulbs will be fine. Also consider the Philips +80% bulbs which as just as bright and some people think are longer lasting.

You can upgrade the front brakes. Cheapest way is to get some different brake pads - lots of options and opinions on which are best. I found that the latest Saab originals seemed to have a lot more bite over the previous ones - I recently changed to a newer 9-5. But there are other pads out there. You can also upgrade the discs to 308mm ones (standard are 288mm). You can use the existing calipers, you just need a pair of caliper carriers that will move the calipers further out to clear the new discs. Finally you can get a full "big brake" kit, but this will also require bigger wheels - either 17 inch or 18 inch.

I'm on my 3rd 9-5 and my wife has had her 9-3SS for over 5 years now, so it can't all be bad! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.